Ps3 Features...

Jimcalagon

Thanks to a generous redundancy payoff, (Yay! Go credit crunch! :thumbsup: ) I'm probably looking to buy a PS3 for my son for Christmas to replace our venerable PS2 (and it means that we get a blu-ray player as well ;) ).

Now I know that there are a number of different PS3 versions available and the amount of diskspace seems to be the usually quoted difference - e.g. the latest version on Amazon has 80gb - but I also saw on Amazon that they have a have a 'premium' 60gb version.

So my main question is - is diskspace the only difference between the various PS3s available (and is the 'premium' version just the ordinary version bundled with extra peripherals) or are there other hardware differences between the versions?

I dunno bout this 'premium' but the original 60GB (which I have) has a card reader, 4 USB ports and backwards compatibility but these were phased out and replaced by the 40GB versions and again since by the 80GB model (neither of which have the above).

So as far as I know the only difference between the units would be HDD size (unless it's old stock, doubtful!), the ps3 is actually made for the HDD to be user upgradeable and even tells you how to do it in the manual (standard 2.5" drive).

I dunno bout this 'premium' but the original 60GB (which I have) has a card reader, 4 USB ports and backwards compatibility but these were phased out and replaced by the 40GB versions and again since by the 80GB model (neither of which have the above).

So as far as I know the only difference between the units would be HDD size (unless it's old stock, doubtful!), the ps3 is actually made for the HDD to be user upgradeable and even tells you how to do it in the manual (standard 2.5" drive).

There's the PS2 compatibility stuff isn't there?

Did I read that wrong or are you saying that the later models don't have card readers, USB ports and backward compatibility?

Correct, well as far as the card reader and backwards compatibility are concerned, USB ports are down to 2 from 4.

Maybe consider an xbox 360 and seperate BD player, could get both for the same price as a ps3 ;)

One of the things he wants it for is Ratchet and Clank - I don't think thats available for X-Box 360, unless you know better?

And I've heard a number of horror stories from mates about the red circle of death on X-Box

Plus I don't want to pay for X-Box live when the PS3 version is, AFAIK, free.

And the problem with having an xbox and a separate blue-ray player is that you have twice the number of cables to bugger about with.

One of the things he wants it for is Ratchet and Clank - I don't think thats available for X-Box 360, unless you know better?

And I've heard a number of horror stories from mates about the red circle of death on X-Box

And the problem with having an xbox and a separate blue-ray player is that you have twice the number of cables to bugger about with.

The red ring of death things fixed now, and even if it wasn't, there's a 3 year guarantee.

Live is free, you just have to pay to play multi stuff, which isn't always suitable for kids. You could also say its not free because it doesn't suck like the PSN store :)

I get a lot of value out live, specially with the kids. There's a bunch of demo's appear every week, which is on the free version of live, and the kids are generally happy to play them rather than buy the full game. The PS3 doesn't offer demo's for the games on PSN, you can't try before you buy.

But yeah, it's all about the games, if he wants Ratchet n Clank or a blue ray player, you need a ps3.

The red ring of death things fixed now, and even if it wasn't, there's a 3 year guarantee.

Live is free, you just have to pay to play multi stuff, which isn't always suitable for kids. You could also say its not free because it doesn't suck like the PSN store :)

I get a lot of value out live, specially with the kids. There's a bunch of demo's appear every week, which is on the free version of live, and the kids are generally happy to play them rather than buy the full game. The PS3 doesn't offer demo's for the games on PSN, you can't try before you buy.

But yeah, it's all about the games, if he wants Ratchet n Clank or a blue ray player, you need a ps3.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

There's demo's of full games, and the odd demo of psn games, but its not like Live where absolutely every Live Arcade game comes with a demo.

"There's demo's of full games, and the odd demo of psn games, but its not like Live where absolutely every Live Arcade game comes with a demo." != "The PS3 doesn't offer demo's for the games on PSN, you can't try before you buy."

misinformation.

Archived