Culture Of Cynicism

Skeddan

Political blogs are fuelling a culture of cynicism about politics, communities secretary Hazel Blears has claimed.

Ms Blears .. complained about a "spreading corrosive cynicism" in political discussion.

She turned her fire on political "bloggers" - accusing them of fuelling disengagement by focusing on "unearthing scandals, conspiracies and perceived hypocrisy" and of being written by "people with disdain for the political system and politicians".

But she added: "Unless and until political blogging 'adds value' to our political culture, by allowing new and disparate voices, ideas and legitimate protest and challenge, and until the mainstream media reports politics in a calmer, more responsible manner, it will continue to fuel a culture of cynicism and pessimism."

'legitimate protest and challenge' sounds well and good, at least until one wonders how 'legitimate' is defined and who would be deciding.

Elsewhere quotes her press release about the speech:

"We are witnessing a dangerous corrosion in our political culture... Perhaps because of the nature of the technology, there is a tendency for political blogs to have a 'Samizdat' style.

'Samizdat' (self-publishing movement) was the clandestine copying and distribution of government-suppressed literature or other media in Soviet-bloc countries. In the Soviet era this was the only way in which to publish anything not endorsed and censored by the government.

In that context 'legitimate protest and challenge' sounds a bit like what's been endorsed and censored by the government.

Oh dear - cynical me!

Edit to add: her press release also states that:- in her speech "She will point the figure [sic] at political "bloggers" - accusing them of seeing their role as "unearthing scandals, conspiracies and perceived hypocrisy". (What wicked wicked things to do!)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps if scandals, conspiracies and - above all - hypocrisy were not so rife in the political systems of almost every country there might be less disdain for the political system and politicians and less corrosive cynicism in political discussion.

Perhaps if scandals, conspiracies and - above all - hypocrisy were not so rife in the political systems of almost every country there might be less disdain for the political system and politicians and less corrosive cynicism in political discussion.

Couldn't of put it better myself. It's akin to someone deliberatly driving round in a tanker full of manure, hosing random peoples houses down with it and then complaining when said people start going on the radio complaining about it. If you dont want to take flak for something how about not doing it in the first place.

:o

Oh Lonan3 that's sooo cynical and corrosive of you!!

Just think how much better it would be if corruption, sleaze and scandal was not exposed. More like the Catholic Church approach. We would no longer be troubled by distrust of the politicians and political system (think how much happier America was before Watergate was exposed).

Think how much more value would be added by inspirational stories of the triumphs rather than undermining with cynical and corrosive criticism. Just imagine how much more trust there would be if those with an axe to grind hadn't exposed the faults of the MEA. In fact how much more trust and how much better and happier it would be if none of the political shortcomings and scandals had been exposed. Celebrate the achievements, build rather than undermine confidence in the leadership, and don't give ammunition to those who might use it against the party/state/country.

"I love my government because they are very kind, because they care for us and love us, and always do what is best for us." :)

She turned her fire on political "bloggers" - accusing them of fuelling disengagement by focusing on "unearthing scandals, conspiracies and perceived hypocrisy" and of being written by "people with disdain for the political system and politicians".

I would respond, but I feel that :lol: is sufficient to demonstrate my disdain for this particular politician.

I read the press statement and, that snipe about the culture of cynicism apart, I was amazed to findmyself agreeing with most of what she had to say in it...

There is a trend towards politics being seen as a career move rather than call to public service,

Increasingly we have seen a 'transmission belt' from university activist, MPs' researcher, think-tank staffer, special adviser, to Member of Parliament and ultimately to the front bench.

Now, there's nothing wrong with any of those jobs, but it is deeply unhealthy for our political class to be drawn from narrowing social base and range of experience.

We need people from a range of backgrounds - business, the armed forces, scientists, teachers, the NHS, shopworkers - to make good laws.

And we need more MPs in Parliament from a wider pool of backgrounds: people who know what it is to worry about the rent collector's knock, or the fear of lay-off, so that the decisions we take reflect the realities people face.

The problem with todays politicians (in the UK) is that they are overwhelmingly part of the public school/oxbridge mafia and the 'bloggers' (what used to be called 'political sketch-writers') are more interested in the process of politics than the effects on the population as a whole.

Listen to the tawdry mess that is "Today In Parliament" on Radio 4 for a prime illustration. A gang of Lord Snooty soundalikes trading half-witticisms with commentary invariably provided by a chortling hack, delighting in the pointless verbal sparring. This affects peoples' fucking lives you asinine, smug bastards, it's not supposed to be entertainment.

24 Hours later and no-one wants to take issue with my rant? Does that mean I'm right and everyone agrees with me? :blink:

It was such utter rubbish that nobody could be bothered.

"The problem with todays politicians (in the UK) is that they are overwhelmingly part of the public school/oxbridge mafia"

Actually, the public school/Oxbridge person is an endangered species in politics now. Very much a minority.

Perhaps there is a connection between the decline in numbers of educated and principled members in the two houses, and the perception that politicians are a bunch of thieving scrotes.

S

It was such utter rubbish that nobody could be bothered.

"The problem with todays politicians (in the UK) is that they are overwhelmingly part of the public school/oxbridge mafia"

Actually, the public school/Oxbridge person is an endangered species in politics now. Very much a minority.

Really? It doesn't seem to be so in the Conservative party, at least and, to a lesser extent, The Labour Party

Guardian, May 2008, Oxbridge and Elitism

Which of today's top politicians are privately educated?

Current cabinet

Alistair Darling (Loretto School, Edinburgh); Jack Straw (Brentwood School, Essex) Harriet Harman (St Paul's Girls' School, London); James Purnell (Royal Grammar School, Guildford); Ruth Kelly (Westminster, London); Geoff Hoon (Nottingham High School); Ed Balls (Nottingham High School); Shaun Woodward (Bristol Grammar)

Shadow cabinet

David Cameron (Eton); George Osborne (St Paul's, London); Michael Gove (Robert Gordon's College, Aberdeen); David Willetts (King Edward's School, Birmingham); Andrew Lansley (Brentwood School, Essex); Theresa Villiers (Francis Holland School, London); Nick Herbert (Haileybury, Herts); Peter Ainsworth (Bradfield College, Berkshire); Jeremy Hunt (Charterhouse); Francis Maude (Abingdon); Theresa May (refused to disclose her educational background); Alan Duncan (Merchant Taylor's School, Northwood); Owen Paterson (Radley College, Oxford); Cheryl Gillan (Cheltenham Ladies' College); Andrew Mitchell (Rugby); Oliver Letwin (Eton)

Perhaps there is a connection between the decline in numbers of educated and principled members in the two houses, and the perception that politicians are a bunch of thieving scrotes.

So you are saying that because of your claimed decline in moneyed toffs in Politics in favour of the great unwashed that the standards of ethics in public office has declined?

I note that a significant number of recent "scrotes" such as Jeffrey Archer, Jonathan Aitken, Neil Hamilton, Peter Mandelson, Boris Johnson, Tony Blair (I could go on) were all educated at Oxford or Cambridge and most went to public schools.

Cynicsm about politicians both national and local is not a new phenomenum. What has changed is that communications technology has moved ahead at a pace dramatically faster than politics.

People who contribute to a forum such as this one have strong opinions and are usually well-informed and up-to-date with their comments (yes). This makes us aware of issues much more quickly than in the past and frustrated when we realise how impotent we actually are to make obvious change happen or to stop rorts when we see them.

Politicians have not learned how to interact with modern communications or how to handle the fact that people are now better informed and have access to ways of sharing their views beyond the pub!

Instead of trying to criticise democracy in action the politicians should be encouraging it. Perhaps the consequences of doing this are too hard for them to contemplate:

• party politics are based on toeing the party line not representing constituency opinion
  • the 'representative' political system dates from the horse transport era and has never been updated for modern communications and tehnology

Rather than criticisng the modern world politicians should work out how to interface with it. For example what interaction is there with MHKs on this Forum - do they use the existence of a public forum to test ideas and get feedback? If they do they are not willing to be open about it. And that is in a small relatively cohesive legislature.

Cynicsm? Don't blame the symptoms - fix the causes.

Maybe the IoM would be a good test bed for 3G politics...?

I thought Archer, rather famously, didn't go to Oxford, but to a teacher training college in Oxford.

According to wikipedia

He gained a place at Brasenose College, Oxford to study for a one-year diploma in education, though he stayed for three years, gaining an academic qualification in teaching awarded by the Oxford Department for Education.

Not quite a teacher training college (Brasenose is is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford) but then again, not quite a proper undergraduate. He got in with the landed gentry by passing himself off as a toff.

I thought Archer, rather famously, didn't go to Oxford, but to a teacher training college in Oxford.

According to wikipedia

He gained a place at Brasenose College, Oxford to study for a one-year diploma in education, though he stayed for three years, gaining an academic qualification in teaching awarded by the Oxford Department for Education.

Not quite a teacher training college (Brasenose is is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford) but then again, not quite a proper undergraduate. He got in with the landed gentry by passing himself off as a toff.

I am not sure that that was true. Wikipaedia entries are easily falsified.

S

In his Who's Who entry, Archer used to describe his education as "Wellington and Oxford".

But "Wellington" was not the famous public school, but a local authority place in Somerset (or close by), and he spent a short time at a tech in Oxford; he was never an undergraduate at Oxford University.

S

Archived