[BBC News] Fatal warning over unlocked cars

Newsbot

I always leave my car unlocked.

If they want to get in... they will do anyway, and damage your car in the process.

Leaving the door open is easier. That way, you face less damages.. less cost. But anyway, chances of someone coming along and entering your car are still very slim. I don't leave anything of value in the car anyway.. so why bother?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always leave my car unlocked.

If they want to get in... they will do anyway, and damage your car in the process.

Leaving the door open is easier. That way, you face less damages.. less cost. But anyway, chances of someone coming along and entering your car are still very slim. I don't leave anything of value in the car anyway.. so why bother?

Why not take the doors off? Makes it easier...

Easier to get in and out of. Plus, with no doors the thieves definitely won't smash the door window, or tamper with the lock.

I think the best thing to do is remove all of the windows and the doors, and leave the keys in the ignition so that they don't try to hotwire it. And a copy of the highway code in the glovebox to encourage them to drive sensibly.

Leaving the door open is easier. That way, you face less damages.. less cost.

Well actually more damages and more cost as you won't be insured if you leave the doors unlocked so you'll have to cough up for everything that happens, but never mind only in your own curious world is it easier to protect yourself from car theft by not locking your car.

I don't leave anything of value in the car anyway.. so why bother?

I'd have thought leaving a few God bothering magazines and a packet of Werthers Originals on the seat was better than fitting a burgular alarm.

he-he so funny.

my insurance doesn't cover theft...

this is the Isle of Man afterall. hello people.

So your third party fire and theft policy does not cover theft?

Do you have a special sort of insurance that's only taken out by idiots that does not pay out when every other policy does to everyone else.

he-he so funny.

Do you have a special sort of insurance that's only taken out by idiots that does not pay out when every other policy does to everyone else.

How do you know he has third party fire and theft?

Third party only insurance doesn't cover theft, and neither does Road Traffic Act only insurance (although not many companies offer that one).

he-he so funny.

Third party only insurance doesn't cover theft, and neither does Road Traffic Act only insurance (although not many companies offer that one).

Exactly it. I've got Third party only.

Less chance of theft over here, so i'm happy to pay less insurance cover.

he-he so funny.

Even third party only cover is getting hard to find unless you are particularly mean enough to want to save the extra 25p over fire and theft.

Archived