[BBC News] Meeting on UK and Manx relations

Newsbot

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The chief minister is meeting with the Lord Chancellor Jack Straw to cement relations with the UK.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7716288.stm

I have been in direct contact with Tony Brown, the Chief Minister of the Isle of Man, on a formal footing on at least two occasions.

I needed to bring to his attention a number of disturbing matters of which I had had first hand experience, to do with how 'things' are 'done' on the Isle of Man.

Some of those points would sicken your average person in the street. Well actually they would sicken anyone except the very rich and very powerful. Sicken.

Anyway, Tony he reacted alright.

On both of those occasions he reacted like a teflon coated tw@t. (Please excuse the language but it is not always easy to make a serious point on a text based internet forum.)

I await with interest how our behemoth politican handles the United Kingdom's Lord Chancellor.

Teflon coating has its limitations, and I anticipate our Tony is going to find that out.

So, the UK denies a sizable chunk of our population equal rights in Europe, knackers our fishing, continues to rip us off with its license fee tax, takes a huge wedge in 'defence' contributions but also uses anti-terror legislation against one of our banks, charges us top dollar university fees and cancels the reciprocal health agreement. A lot of UK based sporting and charitable organizations have taken to calling us a 'county' too. And Tony Brown is off to 'cement' relations? I hope Hovis is actually going to stand up to the bastards and realize that is worth a lot more in our eyes than bending the knee and getting one of their pathetically silly medieval titles.

So, the UK denies a sizable chunk of our population equal rights in Europe,

This has nothing to do with the UK. It's EU rules.

knackers our fishing,

Manx boats have equal access to Uk waters

continues to rip us off with its license fee tax,

If you refer to the BBC licence fee, it's actually very cheap compared to alternatives, such as Sky.

takes a huge wedge in 'defence' contributions

Much less per capita than UK residents pay.

but also uses anti-terror legislation against one of our banks

Since when was Kaupthing Singer & Friedlander Limited a Manx bank?

charges us top dollar university fees

Why should it subsidise non-UK taxpayers?

and cancels the reciprocal health agreement

I would have thought that that could have been renegotiated

A lot of UK based sporting and charitable organizations have taken to calling us a 'county' too.

That's nice of them. It allows Manx sides to compete in UK competitions

And Tony Brown is off to 'cement' relations?

Not the UK's fault that the CM is not a tad more impressive.

I hope Hovis is actually going to stand up to the bastards and realize that is worth a lot more in our eyes than bending the knee and getting one of their pathetically silly mediaeval [spelling corrected} titles.

Have you ever offered yourself for election? The island's representatives are drawn from the small pool of those who stand.

Should I assume that this was all tongue in cheek?

S

I can't understand why the British government are so against a British dependency, it's not as if we are an alien island with no connection to them, how much difference would it make if we were actually part of the UK like Anglesey, would they get that much tax from the equivelant of a small town compared with what it would cost to provide and maintain the administration and infrastructure ?

time will tell, but a bit of straight talking needs to be done !

I can't understand why the British government are so against a British dependency, it's not as if we are an alien island with no connection to them, how much difference would it make if we were actually part of the UK like Anglesey, would they get that much tax from the equivelant of a small town compared with what it would cost to provide and maintain the administration and infrastructure ?

time will tell, but a bit of straight talking needs to be done !

It was Mr T Brown's straight talking that caused the trouble. The UK isn't against the IOM as a dependency. If it were, the IOM would have been swallowed up or made more accountable long ago.

S

I hope Hovis is actually going to stand up to the bastards and realize that is worth a lot more in our eyes than bending the knee and getting one of their pathetically silly mediaeval [spelling corrected} titles.

Have you ever offered yourself for election? The island's representatives are drawn from the small pool of those who stand.

Should I assume that this was all tongue in cheek?

I have not offered myself for election. I think most of the MHKs we have are doing a good job - including TB.

The preferred form in the Concise Oxford English Dictionary is medieval. At the entry for Mediaeval, the dictionary states "see Medieval"! (6th edition). I thought you were a fan of the OED. If you feel the need to correct other people's spelling then why don't you start with an institution that propagates the form you object to on a daily basis, like The Institute for Medieval Studies, University of Leeds, for example, rather than a posting on an internet forum. :rolleyes:

If you refer to the BBC licence fee, it's actually very cheap compared to alternatives, such as Sky.

It's still an additional on top tax though, and those who might not choose to watch the BBC if it had to be paid for as a subscription don't have a choice.

It's still an additional on top tax though, and those who might not choose to watch the BBC if it had to be paid for as a subscription don't have a choice.

Though I guess we get BBC Radio and web site 'free' in that case...?

The whole license issue is a bit blurry for me. Perhaps they should hive off the BBC Sport and make that subscription only....that would save a few hundred million.

Rather than thinking of it as an additional tax - it probably makes better sense to think of the license fee as the basic package. TV, the industry in general, is subsidized by the the license fee - even channels which receive no direct funding. If it were not for the license fee - your subscriptions would likely cost very much more. There would also be fewer actual programmes - and fewer people working in the industry in general, from which talent could be selected (including all the off-air people .. the engineers, technicians, strategists, producers etc etc .. the people who keep the networks running).

Eg: A very considerable proportion of TV, even for subscription channels, is made by independent companies which indirectly receive license fee funding. So whilst a specific programme made by an independent may not have been funded by the licence, it is likely that the company will have received licence money for other work. Breaking it down further - many people working in the industry are effectively self employed - sometimes working on licence fee funded projects.

So, the UK ... charges us top dollar university fees

Not quite top dollar. Students from the Island and Channel Isles are classed as international or overseas, but usually get a discount of a couple of grand on both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees (about 15-20% off the international rate), although how much does sometimes vary between different universities and courses. As has been said, the Island doesn't pay as much into the UK's higher education system through tax, so it is only fair that fees should be higher.

Rather than thinking of it as an additional tax...

Gosh...I bet you're that bloke off 'Not the Nine O'clock News' who would gladly pay £400 for a licence, and sell his house and all it's contents to support the BBC.

Archived