[BBC News] Meeting on UK and Manx relations

Newsbot

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was Mr T Brown's straight talking that caused the trouble.

I agree with you there. The first time that our Government started piping up and blaming the UK for our problems was the day that Darling and the others decided it was time to squash this impudent little government and its accusations. That is why we are in the mess we are in now. Politicians are vain and Darling is not going to take stick off some jumped up Parish Council (in his eyes) that he thinks is diddling his own revenue authority.

I can't see that this attitude can change in the short term no matter how many meetings are held if the IOM still goes out publically and suggests it blames the UK. This is why they have now changed their argument and said that they don't 'blame' the UK for the problem but that they demand UK help and assistance (more reasonable).

The fact is that kaupthing UK was an arm of an Icelandic bank and the reason it folded was that the Icelandic company went arse up. That had nothing to do with the UK. The UK then took steps to preserve UK account holders interests - that is what you would expect them to do. If Iceland had agreed to honour its guarantees and debts to UK accountholders then the UK would not have needed to take any action at all and KSFIOM would still be trading under the parental guarantee rather the same way that Bradford and Bingley International now are and nobody would have lost a cent.

The preferred form in the Concise Oxford English Dictionary is medieval. At the entry for Mediaeval, the dictionary states "see Medieval"! (6th edition). I thought you were a fan of the OED. If you feel the need to correct other people's spelling then why don't you start with an institution that propagates the form you object to on a daily basis, like The Institute for Medieval Studies, University of Leeds, for example, rather than a posting on an internet forum. :rolleyes:

University of Leeds? Ah! I think you'll find it doesn't have a faculty of English. Good for sports, though.

This is an example of the creeping Americanisation (you'd probably call it Americanization) of British culture, and especially of the English language. Personally, I prefer to resist, but many people seem to be happy with the idea that one day Britain will become the sixty-first state of the Union. That's if the Union has disintegrated by then, as now seems possible.

Wonder if our Union will disintegrate first.

S

University of Leeds? Ah! I think you'll find it doesn't have a faculty of English.

Of course it doesn't, nowhere has a faculty of English. They have faculties of arts, humanities, etc. and schools or departments of English, of which Leeds has a very good one.

continues to rip us off with its license fee tax,

If you refer to the BBC licence fee, it's actually very cheap compared to alternatives, such as Sky.

It's still an additional on top tax though, and those who might not choose to watch the BBC if it had to be paid for as a subscription don't have a choice.

Put it in perspective.

It would take the license payer's of 4 x IOM's (yes that's FOUR TIMES) to put together the obscene wedge given to Jonathon Ross.

Mr Slim et al, would you care to comment? Didn't think so...

It would take the license payer's of 4 x IOM's (yes that's FOUR TIMES) to put together the obscene wedge given to Jonathon Ross.

Mr Slim et al, would you care to comment? Didn't think so...

You're obsessed with me PK? I'm flattered, but I'm married, sorry.

I'll comment; Ross is well paid, but he's also unique in broadcasting. He's alleged to earn £6m a year over three years, that's never been confirmed by the way. For that he does a long radio show on saturday, Friday Night, Film 98 and Japanorama. Four shows. Simon Cowell earns a reported £1.5 million for only one show, and god knows how many millions more in deals and spin offs. Greame Norton £2.5 mil for one show. They're big numbers, but I think that Ross's is in perspective given that nobody else does as much.

Be nice to see Mark Kermode take Film 98 on, think he'd do a good job of it.

Six mil is 4 x IOM's license? How'd you know that?

I'll comment; Ross is well paid, but he's also unique in broadcasting. He's alleged to earn £6m a year over three years, that's never been confirmed by the way. For that he does a long radio show on saturday, Friday Night, Film 98 and Japanorama. Four shows.

Actually I think you'll find at the moment he's doing no shows. He's suspended for the next three months. Do try and keep up. I have to agree with you that he's unique in broadcasting. Like you there's no beginning to his talents. So how his agent managed to blag so much dosh for so much mediocrity is beyond reason.

Six mil is 4 x IOM's license? How'd you know that?

It's called mathematics. Maybe you should try it...

Edited to add that just maybe Woss cost the BBC a lot more than that. There's a nice urban myth doing the rounds that on the last re-negotiation of the licence fee it was all cut and dried until it was announced that aunty was going to pay the over-rated Woss an absolutely obscene wedge. On hearing the news the rumour goes that Gordon Brown promptly cut the beeb's funding by over £1 billion. If true it makes Brown almost worth voting for...

Sebrof, if you don't like Leeds, how about The Centre for Medieval Studies as The University of York, Centre of Medieval and Renaissance Studies Oxford and The Medieval Reading Group, Cambridge. The prevalence of the spelling medieval has nothing to do with Americanization - it is to do with the etymolgy. Ævum means 'age' in Latin and although the dipthong vowel it represents was indeed written as a e, rather than the 'ash' character - æ, in Classical Latin, the word medieval came to English from seventeenth century Italian. As in the vast majority of cases where words with the ash dipthong æ have come into English the æ was replaced by simple e, but keeping the long i sound of æ - eg demon (which Phillip Pullman prefers in the "His Dark Materials" trilogy to spell dæmon - probably to indicate his concept is closer to the classical concept than the more familiar Christian concept). You may find many examples of mediæval in older British English, but not so many examples of the spelling mediaeval.

As if the UK situation was not bad enough he's now writing to Obama.

http://www.energyfm.net/news/bulletinstory3.htm

Jees, what a crawler . . . . sometimes it is best to just stfu.

I hardly doubt it will get pride of place on his mantlepiece. It sounds to me a bit like a hostage trying to empathise with his captor so that there's less likelihood of getting a bullet. 'Now just you remember all these here fellas from the Isle of Man and remember how good and nice and compliant we are. PS: Please don't close us down because the wheels are already starting to fall off.'

Archived