[BBC News] Allotment meeting held on island

Newsbot

o what a joy that was when thaty went to look at the field cars parked on a fast rd blocking about 500mts of road, to single file on one of the busyest rds from south to douglas,

you should have seen the mayheam it caused,

never get the planning for the them

I dont think people growing their own veg is anything much to do with the credit crunch (the new Osama BinLaden). We muck about growing potatoes, carrots, parsnips leeks and tomatoes but it's not ever going to make us self sufficient nor has it saved any money, its quite expensive and time consuming

o what a joy that was when thaty went to look at the field cars parked on a fast rd blocking about 500mts of road, to single file on one of the busyest rds from south to douglas,

you should have seen the mayheam it caused,

never get the planning for the them

Agree

To be an authentic allotment holder you need a shed to keep your tools in.

There are lots of people playing at being 'green' I think.

They won't have such a romantic image when they have to dig their plots over.

I dont think people growing their own veg is anything much to do with the credit crunch (the new Osama BinLaden). We muck about growing potatoes, carrots, parsnips leeks and tomatoes but it's not ever going to make us self sufficient nor has it saved any money, its quite expensive and time consuming

Never mind them all getting eaten by wireworm, or so wet through they're inedible. Allotments are hard work, though keeping a few chickens, ducks, geese, a goat and a pig etc. are far more relaxing - and tastier.

Oh me tomatoes Albert, they hadn't gone red so I left them out :( stupid stupid woman, they went red OK but they had rotted in the process. My Broccoli turned out to be calabres, which was never going to look like the stuff you get at Robinsons, pretty yellow flowers though. I have a butternut squash growing at the mo, its huge and gets very pretty flowers on, I dont think much will come of it but I like to mess around planting seeds just to see what happens, peppers seem to be a bit moody about growing. The only thing I have had success with has been to potaotes, but even then, I got about 5-10kg from a 1mtr sq plot, not ideal. I shall now add the picture of my wonderous carrots to the forum for you to giggle at. Oh how on earth do I use this stupid forum? lol gallery_236_84_46616.jpg theres me carrots anyway - now if someone with half a brain could just resize the image for me :) thanks xx

Archived