[BBC News] Island remembers fallen soldiers

Newsbot

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
perhaps because most wars are over religion

(only recently they seem to have been over oil)

Dunno about that. I admit I thought the same once, but Chinahand got me more interested in this, so I did a bit of digging around a while ago.

Although religion is a factor in many wars, and 'God' is usually on both sides when wars are being fought, it appears not to be the general major cause.

However, worryingly it has been an increasingly major factor in the last few years. Have a read of this: 'GOD AND WAR: AN AUDIT & AN EXPLORATION', especially the tables on pages 13/14.

Four serving Manx soldiers have taken part in a Remembrance Day service in the Isle of Man.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/england/7718471.stm

Four soldiers in the British Army have taken part in a Remembrance Day service in the Isle of Man.

Remembrance Day might also remember that those who fought and died in Britain's wars did not fight and die for IoM, but for the UK.

The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est

Pro patria mori.

But no-one joined up to fight for "Queen and Country" or any other high ideals at all. When the shit was flying you went for it for yourself and your mates. That's all.

Edited to add that yesterday really showed up that my foot-drill is getting very rusty!

I suppose what I meant was not just high ideals, but even those who feel that they are doing their bit, that they are contributing to society in a very useful way, along those lines I mean.

I think then from what you see in America there is far more motivation to join the U.S. forces to fight for their country. They are far more patriotic than the British.

One of our lads came out, got promoted and 4 weeks leave! The regiment was called on parade the day after he went on leave and we were all warned off that if anyone was small minded enough to try and beat him up or anything we would be sent on Penguin watch (Falklands posting.)

Then the regiment got some coaches/trainers in and we had a few lectures on discrimination and the whole human rights thing which seemed to create more of a tollerance and bring some of the old boys in line with current values.

A few months after the lad came back of his leave and he was getting used to his reformed life he was charged for misconduct for trying to get it on with some of the new lads!

Knowone ever came out again after that Saga but there were alot of gay women and a couple of gay lads that we all knew about but they would never publicly admit to being Gay because of all the fuss it would cause.

This is going back about 8 years so i have no doubt that the mob has changed on whe whole (before the yellow card/no shouting shite was brought into service.)

Ohh and as for Queen and country.... I only managed to see that in the prodominantly English Inf regiments, they love all that caper.

Ohh and as for Queen and country.... I only managed to see that in the prodominantly English Inf regiments, they love all that caper.

I only ever saw the Queen and Country bs from the woodentops, from their Orifices in fact.

Four weeks leave for "coming out." I mean, FOUR WEEKS! Jeeze, had we known that all 600 of us would have been as camp as Frankie Howerd...

I only ever saw the Queen and Country bs from the woodentops, from their Orifices in fact.

Four weeks leave for "coming out." I mean, FOUR WEEKS! Jeeze, had we known that all 600 of us would have been as camp as Frankie Howerd...

Aah but then you would have lost your job back then, would you not, assuming, maybe mistakenly that it has been a while since you were in the forces.

Jeeze, had we known that all 600 of us would have been as camp as Frankie Howerd...

Aah but then you would have lost your job back then, would you not,

Yes, which is Albert's point. You knew the regs when you signed up, so you shouldn't be awarded any compo when it's subsequently found out that you're in breach of your contract of employment and always have been.

Jeeze, had we known that all 600 of us would have been as camp as Frankie Howerd...

Aah but then you would have lost your job back then, would you not,

Yes, which is Albert's point. You knew the regs when you signed up, so you shouldn't be awarded any compo when it's subsequently found out that you're in breach of your contract of employment and always have been.

I am not condoning people losing their jobs. The issue of a contract is given far too much importance in forming your perspective as opposed to the very fact such a condition in the contract was very very wrong. By emphasing the issue of the breach of the contract, i.e. the legal situation, you overshadow the fact that such contracts are should not have existed, and that discrimination is either acceptable, or because discrimination was less of an issue prior to the law change it makes it ok.

It also gives the impression that because of the legal situation (whether it was unfair, unjust, etc.) it is basically these people's fault if they get fired. True they were aware of the consequences of their sexuality being discovered, which is quite a horribly repressive way to live, and also they had absolutely no intention of declaring their sexuality openly. They wanted to keep it hidden because, possibly foolishly, they put their job above the free expression.

And unfortunately, in this world we live in the modern forms and systems surrounding work mean that renting oneself out to another person is absolutely crucial to one's survival whether that be a government or corporate employer. In losing their jobs over something so irrelevant as sexuality they would have no doubt be placed in positions of great worry and uncertainty over the future. Basically, what I am saying is that the social, financial, and psychological impact of losing one's career can potentially, and often is, quite profound. This is true certainly for short periods and often for long periods of time.

The state recognised the wronfulness in prohibiting such people from entering the forces, and recognised that those people had been wronged. I think compensation is in order.

(If you want to discuss breaches of contract a bit more I would have to highlight that contracts of employment between an employer and a worker (which includes those in the armed forces) are, in a capitalist society, agreed when the employer is in a extremely better bargaining postition than the worker. The worker HAS to work or he will perish or live very miserably, his choices of employment are restricted, his control of his work is very minimal, and the products of his labour stolen due to the contract that is signed. Sod breaches of contract. Employment contracts in today's society are instrinsically unfair)

a discussion on what Gays Soldiers or showing a sign of repect, lets keep to the point..lol

I was I ahve to say angered by a guy in Onchan at 11, when I was trying to show some respect fro the fallen, ie not in a religious way, just respect

and he started up a conversation with a guy that was also standing there in silence.... so after the silence was up I politly told him what i thought off his complete lack off manners....

sorry get off me soap box now..

I was in a taxi about 10.10 and heard the woman controller on the radio reminding all the drivers to observe the 2 minute silence at 11.

Nice one.

Archived