[BBC News] Island remembers fallen soldiers

Newsbot

I agree, a very thoughtful touch.

With all the coverage regarding the First World War, I went on here, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and put in my fathers surname, quite an unusual one I thought.

And there they were, 46 of whom many, judging by regiments etc, have to be members of my family! I simply didn't know about them.

It's a truly fascinating and sobering website.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

keyboarder, i have to tell you that i had a tear in my eye when i watched them, my comment was by no means a insult or dig at them.

its sad that in my life time they will all be gone, just seems that who will remember them in 30 yrs, i will hopefully still be here..

I was at the parade on sunday and it was also sad to see when society names where called out that no one came to lay a wreath for that society or group off people.

"lest we forget" does seem more real

John

I listened to the coverage on sunday on Manx radio,the build up to eleven was good,then the silence was often broken by some cunt who had brought their yappy dog.Leave them at home you smelly fuckers,that goes for spectating at the TT,thankfully the agricultural show up Sulby has now banned them.I have seen people walking through the fur and feather tents with dogs,unreal.....

Archived