Employment During Economic Crisis.

Sidney

You can get booted off the Island if found to be working without a permit and its been done quite a few times.

Yes. But you can't be booted out for being on the island and unemployed. With a visa, you need it to be in the country, employed or not.

not quite. I am talking about people who have already been granted the right to work in Isle of Man, and are currently in employment.

I think any non-manx worker that was laid off before any manx worker of equivalent skill/level would have a field day at tribunal.

very strong case for unfair dismissal on grounds of discrimination, thus costing Manx employers MORE in the long run....

I don't see the difference. The work permit is originally granted with that limitation, same with a US visa. The employer knows, the employee knows that the visa might not be renewed if the countries circumstance changes. If your visa isn't renewed you're booted out and lose your job. The only difference with our work permit system is we can't boot out, we can just take the job away.

Well OK, it depends on nationality of the "non-manx" worker and whether or not they require a VISA to enter the UK. If it's an EU worker then there are no Visa restrictions over length of stay in IoM/UK and then you'd have the discrimination problem.

If it's non- Manx non-EU worker then yes, they may have "IOM Work Permit" but if their UK/Isle of Man VISA runs out then they'd have to leave back to country of origin anyway, if this was not renewed.

But they have only been granted a permit (an therefore the 'right') to work in the Isle of Man for a defined amount of time, normally 1 year.

Surely then the employer should ensure that any employment contract is offered on the same basis? And if not, then the employer is pre-judging the decision of the Work Permit Committee, no?

Not ideal, I grant thee, but that is the legislation as it stands.

If the worker did not qualifiy for a work permit, it would be illegal for the employer to provide them with employment. I don't see how a tribunal could rule against a company that was merely complying with the law of the land.

Restrictive practices including work permit schemes have the potential to restrict business and growth in general to the detriment of the economy as a whole.

People from the IOM do not require work permits to work in the UK. Therefore there is no reason why people from the UK should require work permits to work on the IOM.

Many people from the IOM can also freely work throughout the EU. It would obviously be better if everyone from the IOM was free to work in the EU. Especially in the event of an economic downturn when people might need to think about working away - like in the 1980s.

Restrictive practices including work permit schemes have the potential to restrict business and growth in general to the detriment of the economy as a whole.

People from the IOM do not require work permits to work in the UK. Therefore there is no reason why people from the UK should require work permits to work on the IOM.

Many people from the IOM can also freely work throughout the EU. It would obviously be better if everyone from the IOM was free to work in the EU. Especially in the event of an economic downturn when people might need to think about working away - like in the 1980s.

If you're from the IoM then you can work freely in the EU provided you have spent 5 or more years continually in the UK (or another EU country) - you are then entitled to have the restrictions relating to EU employment and establishment struck from your passport. Otherwise, you are subject to whatever visa restrictions may be imposed in the relevant country on foreign workers. Having seen the trouble faced by colleagues from the US and South Africa in obtaining work permits in Prague, I am very glad that I had spent the requisite time in the UK before moving here.

I would have to agree that restrictive practices are a bad thing economically. They can prevent employers hiring the best people for the job, regardless of their nationality. That decision is inevitably subjective, but I can't imagine there are many IoM-based employers who would deliberately passing over a Manx candidate who was best for a position in favour of a poorer-quality candidate from elsewhere. My employer would certainly not have hired me and paid for me to relocate to Prague if there was someone who had a similar or better level of skill and experience in the field available locally.

Obviously removing restrictive practices may result in higher unemployment among the local workforce who are unskilled, low skilled or have the wrong skills for the work available. To address this it's important to invest in training in sectors where skills are (or are predicted to be) in demand and (if economically viable) providing conditions to stimulate growth in sectors where we have the skills but not the available positions.

I have the stamp in the passport that denies me the rights to employment and establishment in the EU - to get rights equal to UK citizens you need proof that you have been established in the UK for at least five continuous years. That means you have to be able to produce five years worth of utility bills - any missing months and you are back to square one. My attempt to get rid of the stamp failed. Personally I believe in the free movement of people and equal rights for all - but that isn't the way the world works.

Archived