[BBC News] Fisherman fined £7,000 over catch

Newsbot

I believe Undersized scallops can be traded as queenies once processed, Hence why the Oatmeal Savages come down from the North as they don't want to 'Shit on their own doorstep' :angry: ,

I remember many moons ago when I used to drive a dive boat for a local club during a Night dive just out of port Erin, my group on the rib witnessed 2 large Dredgers plough down the coast from peel straight through the marine Bio's protected Scallop beds and off into the dark of the night, we did reoprt it but was told by the DAFF that there was nothing they could do and was told it would be ok as the 'Beds' would recover,

I know for a fact that a 'Bed' was totally destroyed that night as I helped the marine Bio with the clean up, similar to what happen when one of our ministers broadcast that we had huge stocks of Scallop of the coast of the Island and in a couple of nights it was ruined.

I used to dive around that area too. I always understood it took over 15 years to recover once a dredger had ripped up the seabed.

The fine is hardly a deterrent. I suppose it is worth the gamble and I wonder how many times the boat 'got away' with an illegal catch.

It reminds me of the case where a large office block broke the Planning Rules and was fined for building an extra floor. I think the fine was £150,000 which the developer probably paid there and then with a big smile on his face.

I asked the question of Why the fisheries protection Boat was never out much and was told that once the crew had clocked up 40hrs (which includes shore time) per week, they were prevented from leaving due to financial restraints at the DAFF

Can just see the Manx Navy in action

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQrbkYLirEs&...feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_N6URYN_nc4&...feature=related

Archived