[BBC News] Tour of thanks for Iraq soldiers

Newsbot

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I have every respect for all our soldiers and the job they do, we must always keep balance when talking about Iraq.

What is the British Army doing there in the first place?

Did the British Army ever find those weapons of mass destruction?

Are there any other bad places in the world we can go kick some ass, like Zimbabwe say?

What is the British Army doing there in the first place?

They are doing what they are told to do without question because thats the line of work they are in.

Did the British Army ever find those weapons of mass destruction?

It was not our job to find any, that was the job of the suits.

Are there any other bad places in the world we can go kick some ass, like Zimbabwe say?

There have been many campains that dont get thought about by the public at large because they are not as controversial as Iraq, oh and they dont have any oil.... :)

But do you here them complain they have to go out and get killed in Iran, Iraq , .....?

Not enough unfortunately, and nor do the public complain enough.

Librarian-in-charge Mary Cousins said: "Last November, the media in the UK were reporting that British soldiers in Iraq felt people at home weren't supporting them.

"I thought this was very sad because I was certain that, even if you disapproved of the war, you'd support soldiers putting their lives at risk while they were doing their job.

If you disapprove of the war then how can you support the soldiers and why would you want to? Why would you support them because they are being brave and putting their lives at risk? If the tasks of the soldiers are part of a strategy that puts foreign civilian lives at risk and that represents a foolish and badly thought out foreign policy I cannot support the troops just because they are brave, it makes no sense. If you voluntarily join and fight very objectionable campaigns and conflicts then prepare for the flak when people show no respect for these soldiers. Is the soldiers were utterly brainless or all a bit thick it would be different, but it clearly isn't the case.

It staggers me when American pratts support their troops after battles such as Fallujah and the wicked behaviour of some divisions in Iraq during 2003-2004. These people volunteered.

I think there needs to be greater examination of what is meant by support. My opinion, and I feel very strongly about this is that the term 'support' for troops has no proper definition, but is just a word used when people try to hobble together their compassion for the soldiers, support for their tactical goals, hope they don't get killed, but with objection to the grand strategy. Another term needs to be found

The soldiers are doing there job, but still I have respect as my jod certainly will not kill me, the most discomfort i have is, when there is no milk in the fridge, I get home everynight ...........

so they have my respect, irrespective if I believe in the war that they fight.

I went to the presentation, as my Daughter drew them a picture,

so who am I to question something posative in society for a change

SS guards were only doing their job too.

They loved doing it though, I dont know many soldiers who come back off tour having killed people or blew stuff up who dont have a hard time dealing with it themselves.

When you are out there doing the job you are not interested in any of the politics or if its right to be there or not, you are interested in keeping your mates alive.

If you start to think about the hows and why`s then you become a liability to yourself and the others around you. When the tour is over you get to rant about how you dont agree with the reasons for being there but while you are there you must get on with the job.

I dont think soldiers will ever be fully respected by people who have never seen the front line or felt the dread of war, people have opinions which is fine but i get offended when some folk who can sleep safe at night fail to recognise the reason they can do that is because of the men and women who gave their lives to protect their country.

It is the same kind of people who are in our armed forces today and regardless of the reasons or politics, they would die protecting the very people who do not respect them.

Archived