[BBC News] Track biking prompts complaints

Newsbot

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doesn't help when you have certain people in foxdale offering greenlaning holidays in the Isle of Man, plus i believe that they have made no contribution from money earned to help toward the upkeep or repair of these said green lanes and will possibly carry on to use the lanes free of charge to earn a secondary income until the use of these lane is prohibited to everyone <_<

edit to add Enduro Mann Holidays

From what i have seen of the bikers on the greenway roads, they are usually very considerate and always slow down (some even kill their engines) when they see me and my wee doggie out for a stroll.

I think the problem here is people enjoying themselves pursuing their chosen hobby while the whingeing minorities sit on their lardarses wondering what to moan about next. Power to the Bikers/4x4's/Horseriders/Mountainbikers/Walkers.

Let's remember it's a road we're talking about here!

From what i have seen of the bikers on the greenway roads, they are usually very considerate and always slow down (some even kill their engines) when they see me and my wee doggie out for a stroll.

I think the problem here is people enjoying themselves pursuing their chosen hobby while the whingeing minorities sit on their lardarses wondering what to moan about next. Power to the Bikers/4x4's/Horseriders/Mountainbikers/Walkers.

Let's remember it's a road we're talking about here!

Exactly! and to answer shithawks comment, what do you think he enduromann should be paying for?

police are quick to mention the fact that these are public roads, tax and insurance should be the only requirement.

What about horse shit on the roads? now there's a real issue that need addressing!

(ducks for cover) :D

Basically Sunday was the Annual 'Remeberence Day Run' which is a time honoured tradition where every off road motorcyclist (and even ppl with scooters etc) meets up and does pretty much every track on the Island, when I did it last, we met up at Knock Froy, did a couple of laps, then all the tracks in the south over the morning, met up again at St Johns at 11am for the 2 mins silence, then headed north for the afternoon.

Now imagine being on a hoofed toff carrier and coming up against 100+ motorcycles, yeah, I bet complaints are up.

Note that it used to be a very well run event and we always took other users into consideration, I expect this is an increase of 1 complaint every other weekend to 2 last weekend.

Now it has been published I expect 21.2 million complaints from people who were not even off their couch over the weekend.

and to answer shithawks comment, what do you think he enduromann should be paying for?

:blink:???? is that an answer :o looks more like a question to me...........

All I'm saying is that it has been noted by many users of these available tracks that the condition is never improved and just get more run down every year, if you look at some of the tracks that the Manx mountain bike club use, some of their members do spend time every year going back and repairing any damaged land-drains,colverts,Styles, gates Etc even to the extent of putting new drains in to improve a track, all I am saying is I've heard the Enduro lot do not making the same contribution,I'm NOT having a personal dig at EnduroMan as if he did not do it someone else would ,it would just be nice to see a little 'Give' instead of 'Take take take' all the time,that is all molly ,Carm down dear,

The condition of the Tracks would have really taken a beating this year due to never having chance to dry, out

What about horse shit on the roads?

(ducks for cover) :D

Come on 'love', how much cover do you really expect to get from a Duck against Horseshit :blink:

As a regular motorbike user of the green lanes i have to agree that the tracks are being damaged more and more each year. If some sort of action is not taken, i can see the walkers getting their way and all motorvehicles being banned from the greenways for good.

I feel the answer would be to only allow Manx registered vehicles access to the green lanes as they are simply being over used. Every weekend i see large groups of english reg off road motorcyclists roaming the manx trails (due to ever increasing restrictions on green laning in the uk) and i am sure they do not treat the trails with the same respect as local riders.

I would also be willing to pay a green lane road tax to pay for maintanance to be carried out on the lanes.

Which department is responsible for the maintenance of said roads? Does it occur to anyone, that if they are impassable due to poor condition, then the only option may be to ride around that bit, straying from the (poorly defined) boundary of the road itself?

I am thinking, a Landrover with a plough, maybe half a ton of gravel in the back, a few blokes with shovels, make a world of difference. Possibly even find a few volunteers among the offroad community.

technicly its a green way... not a road

If you need tax & insurance etc, then it's a road. It might have an unmade surface, it might be called a greenway, byway, RUPP, BOAT, 'green lane', what have you, it's still a public road.

If the enduro crowd did something to repair the damage that only they have caused, they would gain a lot more friends.

If a planned 'Remembrance Day' run can be organised that involves about 100 riders, then how about having a morning set aside where a couple of hours are dedicated to repair their damage?

100 x 2 hours of labour with the right kit would do wonders even if it was done two mornings a year. It would be no major sacrifice and the areas which are worst hit (usually the beginning and end section of these green lanes) could be improved easily.

Alternatively, do nothing and carry on wrecking the landscape.

Archived