Ice Rink

Guest Eventsiom

When an Ice Rink was proposed a few years back for the Summerland Site, I was against it I thought what a waste of money just for people to skate round in circles. But after thinking about it a bit more, there's Ice Hockey, Curling, Competitive Ice Skating and probably other uses I haven't even heard of, so I now think it would be a good thing for the Island, but will it happen?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a quick one for people

How many months out of the year would you like to see an Ice rink on the Isle of Man????

A permanent one would be fantastic with all the usual facilites, cafe, snack bar, stands to view events.

Otherwise, festive season, somewhere attractive. When major destination cities do it for christmas its in a nice spot with a christmas tree and food etc. Rockafellers in New York is impressive. Do it big and on the prom or the Villa Gardens not in the villiers square !

Indoor icerinks are the best you do not need to bother about weather and get plenty of visitors over to the island so all year round with other activities to go on well alot of activities i would like are already up there

Rocketman-why not an indoor icerink at villiers square?nothing else really exciting is there and could be a big building that could be an attraction the boat can see.

We could eventually have our own iom ice skateing team competing against other places over the world would be good to have us(the isle of man) out there and more sports for young and old people could have different teams competing in isle of man for different ages??? just a thought

Hey! I've got a great idea! There's an old and dilapidated building in Noble's Park that isn't being used. We could knock that down, build a really good indoor ice-rink, add changing rooms for all the other sports that take place there, put in a decent cafe and.....oh! Wait a minute...erm...yes...well then...

Guest Eventsiom
Eventsiom doesnt seem to want to talk to us now !

I think the whole ice/snow facility is particulary interesting.

Once we have the Mark Cavendish Velodrome?! we should have the Joe Gillings ice and snow centre shouldnt we ?

Thanks for everyone's replies

Yes its at Callows Yard it's not Goverment run!

There are restaurants, bars, 28 1& 2 bedroom suites,Conference facilities,food retail outlets and retail outlets.

They are looking to hold it 3 months of the year maybe Dec,Jan & Feb and see how it goes the rest of the year it can be used for other events.

Guest Eventsiom
Indoor icerinks are the best you do not need to bother about weather and get plenty of visitors over to the island so all year round with other activities to go on well alot of activities i would like are already up there

Rocketman-why not an indoor icerink at villiers square?nothing else really exciting is there and could be a big building that could be an attraction the boat can see.

We could eventually have our own iom ice skateing team competing against other places over the world would be good to have us(the isle of man) out there and more sports for young and old people could have different teams competing in isle of man for different ages??? just a thought

Yes that would be great as there are so may activities that can be done on ice!! trying to get in touch with education but nobody replies !!!!

Guest Eventsiom
That's because it is in Castletown and not Douglas.

(prepare for JF to now knock it with every sinew in his body)

well yes it is in castletown don't know if that will make a difference (15 mins in a car from douglas)

people will always have a moan i just wanted to see what the general thoughts were

Thanks

well yes it is in castletown don't know if that will make a difference (15 mins in a car from douglas)

people will always have a moan i just wanted to see what the general thoughts were

Thanks

Castletown doesn't make a difference to me, if it's worth going to, I'll make the trip.

Is it going to be a really tiny artificial thing like the one they bring over around xmas though?

Guest Eventsiom

Thanks

Castletown doesn't make a difference to me, if it's worth going to, I'll make the trip.

Is it going to be a really tiny artificial thing like the one they bring over around xmas though?

no its going to be a proper one i think measurements are 9meters by 30 meters

Guest Eventsiom
I'll be there ! fantastic.

Whats the estimated opening date/month/year please?

Its definately in 2009 with the weather been so bad for the whole project we have been delayed so probably looking

at a April opening for whole site.There is definately going to be ice rink for a minimum 3 months and see how we get on after that.

If anyone has expierance with any ice skating sports could you email me please carmella.banks@callowsyard.com

Thanks

Archived