Road Safety Strategy Unveiled

Tearz

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In short, it's everyone, and targetting one specific group of people only serves to increase the arrogance of the other groups as it's 'not their fault'.

I'm not particularly targetting one specific group or pointing the finger of blame solely to young drivers, but maybe it's part of the solution here.

I notice too that 2 of your examples used were male orientated (middle aged divorcee out to pull the ladies & the man who took early retirement)...............maybe us women drivers aren't quite as bad as most men like to make out??? Didn't someone mention penile extensions earlier???

All men though Ans!

What I don't understand about this arguement is everywhere else in the world appear to manage with speed limits. What is special about the Isle of Man in this regard, other than the entrenched attitudes of a selfish and reckless minority.

Many of the arguements advanced by the antis are the same as were put forward when the drink driving laws were first proposed...

"They are stopping my freedom!"

"Yeah I drink and drive / speed but it is ok because I am a very good driver - it is perfectly safe."

"They'll never be able to enforce it"

"People will just ignore it anyway"

Whether they can immediately enforce it or not is irrelevent - they will in time - what is important is that the Government and the Manx people makes a stand and tells these people that driving too fast is dangerous, reckless, selfish and UNACCEPTABLE behaviour to our community.

I notice too that 2 of your examples used were male orientated (middle aged divorcee out to pull the ladies & the man who took early retirement)...............maybe us women drivers aren't quite as bad as most men like to make out???

It's generally men who do the speeding, not always. Women are pretty bad at the minor accidents (parking bumps, junctions etc) but they're hardly speed related...unless we're talking speed of thought ;)

Anyway, as you say, they were only examples, not a comprehensive list.

I'm not anti TT, in fact I enjoy the TT festival a lot.

However, to allow the annual needless slaughter of people to continue is not acceptable by any countrys standards.

I am not suggesting something as being the ideal solution, but it at least is a start in the right direction.

Main Entry: 1slaugh·ter

Pronunciation: 'slo-t&r

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse slAtra to slaughter; akin to Old English sleaht slaughter, slEan to slay -- more at SLAY

1 : the act of killing; specifically : the butchering of livestock for market

2 : killing of great numbers of human beings (as in battle or a massacre) : CARNAGE

I don't think you meant slaughter really, but good use of an evocative term. :rolleyes:

I have spent a considerable time driving in both the U.K and abroad (europe) over the last 12 months, and believe me, those speed cameras slow everyone down!

If speed cameras are slowing everyone down, how come the number of people caught on camera for speeding is still rising? The latest official Home Office figures show that the number increased by 31% in 2002 to 1.4 million tickets issued. As there are more and more cameras and "safety camera partnerships", then ticket numbers will continue to rise. This, of course, doesn't show the benefits like people braking late and hard when they see a camera, thus perhaps causing accidents, people driving too fast for the conditions but not braking the speed limit set within the camera etc.

I have nothing against a speed limit over here, but don't think that cameras are the answer. Traffic police are the real answer.

Does anyone know the rationale for the speed limit on dual carriageways and motorways being set at 70mph?

From the UK Parliament Stationery Office site:

ORIGINS OF THE 70 MPH MOTORWAY SPEED LIMIT

This note clarifies the origins of the 70 mph and 60 mph speed limits.

An overall maximum speed limit of 70 mph was introduced as an experimental measure on all roads in 1965. This followed a number of multiple crashes on the M1. The 70 mph limit was introduced purely for road safety reasons.

See Hansard 18 May 1966 Col 1271 about the continuation of the experimental speed limit. Monitoring of the experiment by the Road Research Laboratory noted a reduction in killed and seriously injured casualties of 19 per cent on rural and class one roads, including, motorways, in the months of January and February 1966.

The 70 mph limit became permanent in 1967.

A 50 mph speed limit on all roads was introduced during the fuel crisis in 1973 as a temporary measure to reduce fuel consumption. The speed limit was restored to 70 mph on motorways in March 1974 and to all purpose roads in May 1974.

In December 1974 speed limits of 60 mph and 50 mph were introduced on dual carriageway and single carriageway roads, respectively. In June 1977 these were increased to 70 mph and 60 mph respectively, and have remained so since.

Blah, blah, blah....THE CAR DRIVER ALWAYS SAYS I NEVER SEEN HIM.

A BIKE RIDER WAS KILLED ON THE MOUNTAIN THIS TT, HE WAS NOT SPEEDING HE JUST HIT AN AMBULANCE THAT WAS GOING THE WRONG WAY.

Blah, blah, blah....I CAN CONTROL THE BIKE AT THAT SPEED BUT I CANT CONTROL THE IDIOTS IN THE CARS

To play devils advocate here, wasn't there also a young man killed and two others injured when a bike hit them on their side of the road whilst travelling in a works van in a head on collision in the same week?

To cite a handful of cases hardly gives any weight to either side of the discussion.

What was the score with that ambulance thing? Were the roads supposed to be one way or something?

Quite an amusing rant from FCMR once again displaying the impractical and selfish attitude of many bikers. You seriously think making everyone learn to ride a bike is a practical solution to bike safty? Do you think your mum would take her bike test? What about your granny?

Also why not include bikes in your one passenger law? Your 180mph beast will be more environmentally unfriednly than my car, so why should you get away with riding solo?

A rider was killed at the waterworks after the roads opened after racing, it had been said on the radio that the mountain road was one way for one hour after the roads opened, the bike hit the ambulance that was comong the wrong way.

Slim Why not try having a ride out for a day on the back of a bike over here on the IOM and then post your views. YOU WILL S**T YOURSELF :P

Archived