Road Safety Strategy Unveiled

Tearz

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another page has been added to the Safety Initiative document.

Also available now are:

* Graph showing ages of those involved in accidents

* Map showing locations of all fatal accidents

The new page can be found here

A couple of points worth a mention...

The age graph (all accidents) shows that there were injuries to the 'driver/rider' in 2 of the 3 age groups upto age 15, which infers that the 'total number of accidents' figures previously released did include cyclists. This is good, but assuming that in some of the incidents, the rider was at fault, can these incidents be used to prop up the pro speed limit arguement?

In the age graph (all accidents) the largest group involved in incidents is as we already know age group 16 to 20. A small proportion of this group were pedestrians. The 'pedestrian' numbers more or less stay consistant despite a big slope off as ages increase. This means that older drivers have less incidents, but proportionally more of them include pedestrians. This *may* indicate that proportionally accidents are more likely to occur in populated areas.

The location map (fatalities) has 22 dots on the Mountain Road. How many of these occured during the TT period when the roads see a 50%(??) increase of traffic generally, and the majority is concentrated in and around that area? We know that during the TT period there is a massively increased likelyhood of accident and death. TT figures are (and rightly so) included in the overall figures, from purely a point of interest I wonder what the numbers would be like for the "other 50 weeks of the year".

The location map doesn't show any particular patterns, ie the dots are pretty much evenly spread about the Island. How about another map showing incidents that were not fatal?

There are a number of accident black spots (existing map doesn't indicate this) and they need attention . If one road has 5 accidents per year that result in serious injury then that surely needs addressing as much if not more than a road that has maybe seen one fatal accident and next to no other accidents. One fatality could be considered driver/rider error, many accidents could be considered poor roads.

In my opinion the published information is still lacking the depth that could be made available.

I agree lots of questions still need answering.

The main inference taken from the graph is that the 16 to 20 year olds are more likely to have an accident but is that because of

1) Inexperience

2) Speeding

3) Reckless driving

or

Just the fact that the 16 to 20 year olds cover more miles than any other age catergory thereby increasing their chance of being involved in an accident (law of averages)

It is in the UK. Dont know about over here though. I did find some statistics done by the UK Transport body on the web about six months ago that showed similar statistics based on miles travelled which did show that age didnt make much of a difference. I will see if I can find it again.

My posting above though was meant to be a question. What is the cause? Forgot the ?????? SILLY BILLY

Bob Mc Millan from Honda UK was interviewed by Manx Radio yesterday regarding road safety and the TT. Bob has been riding bikes for over thirty years, is an ex policeman as well as being the man behind Honda UK Racing. He mentioned what I believe to be an answer to the small % of idiots at the TT/MGP cars and bikes. He said that the local police should hire in from other forces, motor cylcle Police, say about 12/15, these could be on patrol around the coarse during the open roads, it would not take long for the word to get around that if you act like an idiot you will be copped. He also said that bike riding can be fast and safe.

The main inference taken from the graph is that the 16 to 20 year olds are more likely to have an accident but is that because of

1) Inexperience

2) Speeding

3) Reckless driving

I'd say all 3 of the above. I know when I passed my test at 16 1/2 I was inexperienced and drove like a looney sometimes. There's plenty of non teenage drivers who rack up lots of miles such as delivery drivers, etc., and I don't think that they have as many accidents.

Bob Mc Millan from Honda UK was interviewed by Manx Radio yesterday

I note that he was over here with some police testing out bikes solely because we don't have a maximum speed limit.

I think that people coming over here specifically because we don't have that limit and for the sole intention of driving fast aren't doing the anti speed limit corner any favours.

It's one thing if locals want to drive fast but when it's becoming a tourist industry with bikers and Subaru drivers coming over for a weekend blast then I can see it helping the pro speed limit people

You've made a couple of potentially serious typo's there that I would LOVE to pick up on.

But, as this is a serious thread I shall be quiet as a mouse.

Archived