Road Safety Strategy Unveiled

Tearz

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stu Peters was telling a story on Manx Radio the other day of how he got knocked off his motor bike by some daft car driver.

I remember a couple of years ago when a daft motorcyclist crashed into my car...

I think it's far more common the other way round though. Usually with said daft car driver saying the old chestnut "but I didn't see them officer" whilst some poor bugger gets carted off in an ambulance because someone couldn't be arsed looking around properly.

Aye, the only time I've crashed on my bike was when a car driver pulled directly across my path into the Liverpool arms (I was travelling towards Laxey).

He waited for the car in front of me but simply didn't spot me (and I had my lights on) and I went straight into the side of him.

He then stood over me whilst I lay under the bike ranting about me going too fast - my bike only does 60 with the wind behind it! I reality I was doing approx 40-45mph, but it turned out his rant was all for show anyway, as soon as the gathered people moved on he admitted his blame and said he'd pay for damage to the bike. Luckily I was fine.

It's a common story though.

I think it's far more common the other way round though.

Wouldn't that in part be because of the ratio of cars to motorbikes. If there are more cars on the roads, it must follow that if a motorbike has an accident, it is statistically more likely to be with a car.

I would also assume from that that there are far more car/car accidents than anything else.

Anything involving stats and numbers can be twisted to the purpose that suits you.

I think it's far more common the other way round though.

Wouldn't that in part be because of the ratio of cars to motorbikes. If there are more cars on the roads, it must follow that if a motorbike has an accident, it is statistically more likely to be with a car.

I would also assume from that that there are far more car/car accidents than anything else.

Anything involving stats and numbers can be twisted to the purpose that suits you.

I see what you're saying but it's not what I meant. Of course bikes are more likely to have accidents with cars than other vehicles because as you correctly say there are a lot more cars.

What I meant was that when there is an accident between a car and a bike it is generally more common that the car can be seen to be the 'cause' of it on account of the driver 'not seeing' the bike until it's too late. Yes bikes to ride into cars through their own fault I am sure too but less frequently.

Archived