Road Safety Strategy Unveiled

Tearz

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big article about the Speed limit proposals in the UK Independent today - good article that covers all the main points.

Alex, how can you say that is a "good article"? Have you tried to count the errors and inaccuracies and deliberate attempts to misinform??

That article is typical of many written by clueless fucwits scratching to create an impression to other clueless fucwits. It should have been firmly planted in the Fiction section for works of inspred creativeness.

It is a thinly veiled personal dig at the Island, nothing more, nothing less.

The only good thing about the article is that it eventually manages to come to an end.

A 65 year old man was killed yesterday when the bike he was riding hit a tractor and trailer being driven by a 19 year old in Kirk Michael. The dead mans wife who was pillion and also 65 was taken to hospital with serious injuries.

• 5 weeks later...

I understand that it's a foregone conclusion that the limits will be in by the start to middle of next year...

My sources tell me that there is a rather large consignment of traffic sign poles in the various depots around the island, and that these poles weren't just bought for refurbishment of existing...

As the proposal has to be approved by Tynwald how can it be a foregone conclusion. Maybe it's a foregone conclusion the DOT will bring the motion forward, but no-one can know how all the MHKs will vote.

Write to your MHK. I know mine's against it but I'll be writing anyway.

So, explain why there are an excess of traffic poles in the island's depots?

By the way, my source works for the DOT!

No wait, you're right, that proves it conclusively. Especially now I know your uncle's mother-in-law's sister's husband's brother works for the DOT, how impressive! ;-)

The fact is, even if Shimmin does try to bring his ridiculous proposals in it WILL have to be voted on. So unless you're suggesting that someone's been having secret meetings with Mystic Meg, how can anyone possibly know how they will all vote? It's not just all the MHKs, it's the MLCs - both houses have to have a majority vote for it to become policy.

(although I suppose he could be banking on pleading "But look guys, I've just spent a fortune on all these shiny new traffic poles, you have to vote yes!")

Archived