Road Safety Strategy Unveiled

Tearz

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now let me see - we live in a place without speed limits and we have to move because you want speed limits.

Seems to me like it would make more sense for you guys to go. If you don't like whats here then we won't miss you.

And speed limits aren't a done deal by any stretch of the imagination.

Education not Legislation

To be perfectly honest I couldn't care less if they introduce them or not. I'm too scared to drive over 60 so it doesn't affect me. So meah if you don't like what they're doing why don't you leave? etc etc etc ;) I don't believe it is the answer to all their problems, but at least they make it look like they're trying.

It is interesting to see how many people have stuck pictures of their bikes as their avatars since all this xxxx kicked off. I'd put a pic of my shitty Clio but.. well, that's the problem.

I don't believe it is the answer to all their problems, but at least they make it look like they're trying.

That's the problem though... they make it *look like they're trying*

There is little or nothing in the strategy that will help to improve current bad habits or inconsideration towards others.

Has using mobile phones while driving stopped since the law was brought in? No!

Do all drivers/riders obey the existing speed limits? No!

Do current laws stop double yellow lines being parked on? No!

The simple fact is that we have laws, they are not rigorously enforced, motorists are complacent, accidents happen and will continue to do so.

All this crap about speed causing accidents... Speed isn't the primary cause of an accident, it is the decider of the result during and following the initial lack of driving with care.

Who the heck came up with the idea to reduce accidents by 2%? 100 deaths in the past 10 years? So their ambition is to spend time and public money debating a load of hot air to achieve a reduction to 98 deaths in the next decade?

Well excuse me if I don't exactly dance a merry jig on the spot.

Bad habits and attitudes need dealing with. Existing laws (at no cost to taxpayers) are more than able to deal with any driving that is liable to result in an accident, or to inflict danger to other road users.

There are parts of the strategy that I support. To be honest I wouldn't have a problem if a National Speed limit *is* introduced.

My gripe is that one or more clueless monkeys with a bit of power want to justify their existence and are touting a couple of bits of legislation as the answer to all known problems.

Mr Shimmin says that the proposal to introduce a Speed Limit was in his manifesto so in his deluded opinion, a handful of his constiuents who voted him into Keys have given him a mandate to speak for the whole Island.

He says that most of the replies were opposed to a speed limit, and extra time has been granted to some parties to better prepare their responces due to a lack of conclusive statistics in the draft initiative. He claims that many of these opinions can be ignored because he has to legislate for the good of the Island. So if opinions which differ to his are irrelevent, why did he put them to public consultation?

Because he wants to be *seen* to be doing something.

Personally I'd rather he *was* doing something. and current laws permit that to happen, only human will is stopping it.

It is interesting to see how many people have stuck pictures of their bikes as their avatars since all this xxxx kicked off

I believe I've had my motorcycle avatar well before all this kicked off on this forum, that's because I wouldn't even take a pic of my clio. :D

So Have I, But get a real bike WD

There's nothing wrong with my wheezing sh.itbox Bandit, I sold an R6 as soon as I got wind of the proposed speed limit. If that comes sports bikes will be two a penny.

Thing is, I can always buy another sports bike if it doesn't come in, you fellas will be hard pushed to get rid of your bikes if it does come in. :D

WD, Its not often I ride on the roads as its not safe anymore to many cars and TRACTORS That are unfit for the road and driven by kids 2 weeks past their 16th birthday.

I have a great time doing track days in the UK and Ireland, plenty of speed and loads of beer, no recless car drivers to spoil things.

Archived