Road Safety Strategy Unveiled

Tearz

I saw a really fat person today, perhaps we should introduce an upper pie limit, or what about the the excedingly drunk person I saw in the pub we can't go on with out an upper drink limit, oh and then there was this person that was totaly off his head, far to many drugs we need an upper drug limit, hang on their against the law already, perhaps he didn't know or perhaps he just didn't care.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ripsaw - the problem isn't limited to "R" plates, its drivers in general. Perhaps the police should introduce a xxxx-driver bill, where if they see someone who isn't too handy - they can request a retest within a 3 month period, where if they fail they lose their license. Afterall, if they're 'really' a good driver, they should be able to pass the test without breaking a sweat.

497 people prosecuted last year for exceeding the statutory speed limit. Compares to 143 for driving whilst impaired.

Clearly they are getting the message across about drink driving...

71 for mobile phone usage. What did they do ? Stand at the QB for ten minutes and then hit their target ?

Actually come to think off it, even if they did stick up some limits, for example;

St Marks to the Braid was unlimited, now its 50 - I must admit, I blast my way down there well over that just like the rest of em.

Point being, no one polices the roads - changing the speed limit will only put ever more slow-coaches-scardy-cats on the road, who drive around looking at the speedo instead of the road.

The debate only has one conclusion - the government will introduce an all-island limit, and people will ignore it. The only difference is, when a police car happens to be around they can prosecute. But as Unisol pointed out, they have to police it in order to enforce it.

I think that limit at the Braid is so cool.

I'd never ever thought about trying to get through the village at 50 in my old Rover until they put a limit there. It got kinda out a-shape across the ripples in the last junction but hell it must have been safe at 50 or they wouldn't have put the signs up.

Ripsaw - the problem isn't limited to "R" plates, its drivers in general. Perhaps the police should introduce a xxxx-driver bill, where if they see someone who isn't too handy - they can request a retest within a 3 month period, where if they fail they lose their license. Afterall, if they're 'really' a good driver, they should be able to pass the test without breaking a sweat.
I agree with you. I concentrated on R Plates because the "statistics" show that most likely to be involved in an accident are the 16 to 21 age group.

Because most drivers learn in this age group, it would hopefully send out a clear message from the start (never mind the mums and dads who would find themselves back in the passenger seat).

Better enforcement of existing laws and suitable punishments has been my arguement since the early days of Manx.net.

Remember the Estate Agent who crashed, drove off, was over the limit when police turned up at his house, didn't have a valid driving licence, cannot therefore have had insurance cover. He was banned, even though he shouldn't have been driving anyway, and a fine of (if memory is working) of £300 - £400. The commision on the next house he sold for £30,000 sorted that fine.

By all means introduce new laws, but make sure that when people choose to ignore them, there is a credible and public incentive for others to abide by them.

This doesn't mean they'll take up rally driving as you might wish but instead they'll go hell for leather along twisty, narrow country roads where you commonly encounter i) hedges that stop you seeing what's around the next bend, ii) xxxx all over the road from farms iii) poor road surfaces iv) a horse or herd of cows or drag racing combine harvesters potentially round every corner.

What a pile of feckin xxxxxx!

Actually he is right.

And what is worse is that quite a few people I know only do 30 round towns as being able to do whatever you regard as safe outside the speed limits means that its pointless to speed in town. At the moment.

And whats the best way to defeat a speed camera ? Pinch a car.

Do you really think that the low car crime rate we have over here is going to continue ? Whats the point in spending money on a fast car which you are going to get nicked in for speeding when you can nick a car, go as fast as you like and then set fire to.

Actually he is right.

And what is worse is that quite a few people I know only do 30 round towns as being able to do whatever you regard as safe outside the speed limits means that its pointless to speed in town. At the moment.

Do you really think that the low car crime rate we have over here is going to continue ? Whats the point in spending money on a fast car which you are going to get nicked in for speeding when you can nick a car, go as fast as you like and then set fire to.

And I say............. what a pile of feckin xxxxxx to you too! Just because an all-island speed limit is set you think people are going to go tearing down narrow, country lanes...........xxxxxx!

And as for your point about car crime, we're in the Isle of Man not Toxteth!

Phew! I read that just in the nick of time. There I was just about to spend £35k on a new motor. Then I thought "hey you're right", why buy when I take and burn! Gotta go now, got my eye on a new Megane coupe parked up the road...............would've preferred a nice Merc, but sod it I'm only gonna torch it in half an hour. Thanks for the idea, you've saved me a bundle :D

hahaha, the thing is about car crime here, you can't just cross over to the next state - the only way off is by boat. I would have to assume all missing car reports are passed onto the sea terminal security.

Couple of choices, 1. Burn / Destroy the vehicle - 2. Hide it - 3. Spray it

I don't think car crime will go up.

I saw a really fat person today, perhaps we should introduce an upper pie limit, or what about the the excedingly drunk person I saw in the pub we can't go on with out an upper drink limit, oh and then there was this person that was totaly off his head, far to many drugs we need an upper drug limit, hang on their against the law already, perhaps he didn't know or perhaps he just didn't care.

The difference is I am unlikely to be killed by a really fat person, if I am in a pub I accept the risk of running into a drunkard, if that drunkard endangers me he is comitting a criminal offence, and drugs are against the law. I do not choose to risk my life so others can save a few minutes.

Is there anybody in the anti speed limit brigade capable of putting forward a realistic and sensible argument in favour of their cause?

Reading some of the nonsense on here supposedly supporting a no limit stance has done nothing but to strengthen the argument of the pro limit lobby.

It's hardly surprising, I mean can anybody anywhere think of a single positive reason which might support the idea that people can travel as fast as they like on open public roads?

Archived