Grave Sharing

Lonan3

I'm not sure if I am correct in this, but I seem to remember something about that in Japan people are buried standing up to save space. I also think that in some countries they take up old graves after so many years they dig up the old graves to make way for new ones.

The thing that gave me most pause for thought about it was: Tim Morris, chief executive of the Institute of Cemeteries and Crematorium Management and a member of the Government's burial advisory body, said that only abandoned graves dating back more than 100 years would be considered for reburial under the new scheme.... Damaged or insignificant headstones would be removed and replaced with only the new name.

Although it seems quite reasonable, some of these gravestones form an historical document that could be of use to people seeking their family tree and, as we've discovered whilst my wife has been tracing her ancestors, some of the 'insignificant' ones are actually links between extremely significant ones.

Have a look at the top right hand corner of Douglas grave yard. There you will find the graves of Jews with the star of David on their headstone. Brian Kriesky is up there. There is also to be found, some graves of those who died during internment in the war.

I suspect this ground would be reserved for people regarded as non Christians.

Non Christians and non-conformists like Wesley the Methodist could not be buried within the walls of the City of London and were interred at Bunhill fields grave yard.

The thing that gave me most pause for thought about it was: Tim Morris, chief executive of the Institute of Cemeteries and Crematorium Management and a member of the Government's burial advisory body, said that only abandoned graves dating back more than 100 years would be considered for reburial under the new scheme.... Damaged or insignificant headstones would be removed and replaced with only the new name.

Although it seems quite reasonable, some of these gravestones form an historical document that could be of use to people seeking their family tree and, as we've discovered whilst my wife has been tracing her ancestors, some of the 'insignificant' ones are actually links between extremely significant ones.

As Lonan points out, people with an interest in historical information, would find this gravely disturbing. I for one have the unusual hobby of taking pictures of gravestones and recording the exact inscriptions and burial places, which is still ongoing and dependent on time. The Family History Society have done a tremendous job in recording the inscription of gravestones throughout the island and to find that there's a possibility of having an upper/lower level would confuse things a little.

(quick plug - the next meeting of the Family History Society is at 7:30pm on Friday 21st November at the Methodist Church, next to the shop in Union Mills)

Space and cost is always a factor and thought should be given to those who have family plots and not individual plots that seem more commonplace these days. The problem however, will not simply go away and the uprooting of burial plots may only assist things in the relatively short term of another century or so, but what then when these spaces are filled?

(Lonan, if your wife requires any help pre 1901, then let me know)

Paul Wade, member of the IOM FHS.

Archived