Switched-on Records? Neone Know?

Louis_C

Yup, I agree.

Loads of DJ's plus budding dj's over here.

Don't know what sort of market there is for it though, nor what the profit margins are.

Must be hard too, you need to be in Douglas really but the rents and rates kill that idea if you're anywhere near Strand Street.

Needs a lil backstreet shop that's well advertised (flyers, small ad's in the paper etc.,) to get people up there really.

Not an easy thing to do, but should be able to work if the right people get the right place at the right price.

Either that or a very well put together website with online ordering and well publicised online and through the local pubs/clubs and the printed media too.

Just to add, and I don't know if it's still there but there used to be a top music shop in Guernsey (popluation less than here) No. 19 or Number 19 it was called and a great BSE type place in Jersey too (can't remember the name, but got an Orbital album on cd that I wanted in there for a bargain price) they both always used to be dead busy and the staff knew what they were talking about and were always helpful. I personally prefer to shop in such places, rather than go to an HMV / VIRGIN store.

To be honest with you, a lot of internet record shops can't be beaten these days. You can buy a promo on them the same day they get distrobuted to DJ's on the mailing lists, and the amount of unofficial releases (white labels) is incredible.

Most of the better ones have a 2 day turnaround on orders so if you order something, then you'll have it within 48 hours. You don't have to leave the house to order or listen to them and you can listen in your own time.

I'm not saying that we should take the business away from local shops but the internet is really convenient and cost effective. some local business's should take note. Numerous record shops have switched to online sales only because it saves them on having a retail outlet and counterstaff. all work can be done from a trade unit and stock count/order database is all online.

If your buying records try clicking here

Juno is the best online record shop, and has been for years!

depends what you're after, i've found it to be fairly poor for what i look for. and the snapshots of the tunes cut out big parts of the tune, meaning ya get something that sounds nothing like the tune ya thought ya were getting, or the rest of its pants. but they don't, to my knowledge, have an actual store, so they can keep costs low.

Gid gave it a really good go over here, he had a big shop, great listening areas, and a lot of stock of all genre's. the overheads over here are way too pricey though, and the profit margin for vinyl is relatively poor too. in order to get tunes, you have to sign up to a distributor, which costs thousands, then you have to buy the stock too. different distributors deal with different labels, so in order to stock the best tunes from the different genres, you have to outlay a hefty wedge before you even start looking for premises. as most people over here don't seem to mind dealing on the internet its no surprise we can't afford to have a record shop over here. HMV deal in vinyl, but the stock they have is terrible, i'd bet they make little money from it. its a shame though, they are the only store who could really afford to take it on, and they'd already be signed up to the distributors. if they had someone who knew vinyl, and what people wanted, and if HMV gave them a bigger space in the back of the shop, i'm sure they could take a lot of business off the online retailers.

Not sure but I think that Switched On is working from a shop on Victoria Street, opposite Feegans tinternet place... It kinda doubles as a clothes shop selling the old stock from En Fin....

...as I said Im not sure, but I have seen plenty of records in there, plus some Dj looking types knocking round there....

Yeh I was in there today... Its not actually open, but you if you give Gid a ring then he'll let you have a mooch amongst the stock he has left...

If im shopping online, I tend to use either Juno or Plastic Fantastic... I have used 3Beat before, but after waiting a month for a record, I haven't used them since!

Uk Dance Records has quite a good stock... They have a shop upstairs in Psyche in Middlesbrough, where I am at uni, and they always have some fairly good stuff in... But as you said Mr Beats, it does depend on what you're after... Hard-To-Find i've heard is possibly the worst place you can buy from. I know loads of people who haven't recieved records! And their prices tend to be a bit over the top...

With Juno have u noticed that when ordering tunes, the actual price of the record when buying it is priced less in your shopping cart, than it is on the actual site? Im probably missing out on something here with my thickness... Is the price on the site including p&p or whatever? I dont have a clue...

I agree about HMV... I wonder who actually decides what tunes to sell in the store over here... I could either be 'recommends' from another store, or 'biggest sellers', or someone just looking in a magazine and picking out the best tunes...

Compaired to the HMV's across, this one is poor... There's alot of stuff in the selection currently over here, that I doubt will ever get sold... If someone works there who knows their music, and knows what would be sold, then they could improve their sales by a fair bit I could imagine

Archived