" Darling's Isle Of Man Must Be On Some Other Planet "

%age

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is Bell going to be getting onto the larger UK news networks to set the record straight re: tax haven status and about gordon's deflection tactics? Its all well & good to have it on MR, but the message needs to get out to the wider world - like gordon manages to do when he is having his digs at the Island.

If Bell gets in quick he might even get top news item....I have not heard of any x factor or strictly outrage as yet for this week!

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Chief-Minis...n-in.4728590.jp

shame...........he's coming back in December

"CHIEF Minister Tony Brown is undergoing a back operation this week"....

The operation is to install a new hinge, in order that Mr Brown is able to bend even further backwards for the UK government.

Should it prove a success other Ministers may also have this pioneering operation, though recent cutbacks for the DHSS may delay the treatment.

Bell not unduly concerned - Manx Radio

Gordon Brown is using it to deflect attention away from his own incompetence

Is this undiplomatic language?

Not your usual ass kissing I grant you!

But maybe needed saying ?

Our own people have to accept that they are also have some responsibility for what happens here. Stuff does not just happen to us. We are where we are now as a result of the policies of many years. We have all possibly been somewhat guilty of treating boom as if that was normal. The IOM has always known that the finance industry would inevitably come under ever greater international scrutiny. In the end an economy only works if it creates value or wealth.

Creating an argument with the UK might be popular but it is unlikely to be useful.

We need to hope that the difficult times that we probably face from now on, will allow us to leave a more sustainable economy for the next generations. Same problems that the UK faces but on a smaller scale.

why does Bell have to scurry off to London, if they want to know anything about the IoM let them scurry over here and find out !

tell 'em to get lost otherwise, or set up our own enquiry about whether the UK acted illegally using the terrorism act

to cause the insolvency of KSF, let the depositors sue the UK in the european court

Creating an argument with the UK might be popular but it is unlikely to be useful.

No disrespect Pongo ! But it looks like ass kissing has already been tried and failed.

I read Mr Bells comments as a recognition/realisation of the fact that the U.k. are going to press on with their agenda no matter what the Manx Gov say !

If we are going to go down we may as well go down fighting !

What was it that somebody said in a previous post ?

" There's nothing to fear but fear itself !

If we are going to go down we may as well go down fighting !

The reason I disagree with you is because you will almost invariably get a better result by remaining calm and serious.

Meanwhile I have a hunch that this will end up being like one of those dumb mission statements - ie there will be some vague policy proposal which will be about "striving to agree to work towards harmonizing blah blah blah by some date long in the future ...... ". By which time we will probably have a double taxation agreement with everywhere which matters anyhow.

What is in store for offshore banking?

But it certainly would not make any sense, if the UK government is trying to take stock of its obligations, for one or more of these offshore jurisdictions to end up in the lurch like Iceland.

Charming. I.e. if you don't play ball we might use anti terrorism legislation against you . . .

However, the BBC also says:

But at the end of it all, the mainly Western governments who are seeking information from the off-shore centres may find that their taxpayers were actually being much more honest than they were giving them credit for.

But at the end of it all, the mainly Western governments who are seeking information from the off-shore centres may find that their taxpayers were actually being much more honest than they were giving them credit for.

Yep, I think we've been pretty pro active in adapting to new regulations and requirements, and I think a lot of the critisisms that the UK are levelling at us may apply to other jurisdictions but not ours.

Yep, I think we've been pretty pro active in adapting to new regulations and requirements, and I think a lot of the critisisms that the UK are levelling at us may apply to other jurisdictions but not ours.

...and yes, let's hope Alan Bell gets himself on the news tomorrow and says so.

Archived