[BBC News] Island is 'top conference venue'

Newsbot

Sheesh - with ambassadors like you guys, the island will never have any conference business!

In the current economic climate, the IOM could be seen as a more prudent option than some of the more exotic locations, yet still get the salesforce (or whoever) 'away from it all' for a couple of days team building and listening to blue sky, outside the box thinking from management.

I remember a similar recession in 1980 when I sat in a Barcelona hotel room for 10 days with a dozen slide projectors and nothing to do - 80% of the customers of my client had cancelled their invitations to some lavish hospitality and a multimedia sales pitch because 'it wouldn't send the right message to the workforce'.

Whereas Douglas doesn't have that same feeling of decadence...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of telling that IOM finances conference in October wasn't held on the IOM. The IOM probably has a shot as a conference venue, if like Stu says the cost of travel can be made up by the savings in other areas or the benefits of hosting here.

There might be opportunities due to environmental reasons too, particularly as the cost of flying goes up. Instead of flying your team out to somewhere more exotic, send em to the IOM for the conference and team building excersises. We can do quite a lot of that teamy type stuff, kayaking, absailing, pot holing, etc and we have venues that can host the business stuff too.

Sheesh - with ambassadors like you guys, the island will never have any conference business!

In the current economic climate, the IOM could be seen as a more prudent option than some of the more exotic locations, yet still get the salesforce (or whoever) 'away from it all' for a couple of days team building and listening to blue sky, outside the box thinking from management.

I remember a similar recession in 1980 when I sat in a Barcelona hotel room for 10 days with a dozen slide projectors and nothing to do - 80% of the customers of my client had cancelled their invitations to some lavish hospitality and a multimedia sales pitch because 'it wouldn't send the right message to the workforce'.

I agree with that, but it was the Villa being 'unparallelled' comment I think that wound people up. Having organised and attended many a conference myself over the years, it's a very good venue, but not unparallelled. One of the worst things to do is oversell something - and as you highlighted above there are plenty of other marketing angles to take.

With the UK now being predominately a service sector, the number of conferences have actually gone up everywhere. I think the point is 'let's market practically and not be delusional about these things'. This current institutionalised delusional behaviour seems rife at the moment, from facing up to dealing with the finance crisis to tourism and hotel accomodation.

In my previous life I was a conference and corporate communications producer and think the island DOES have the potential as a great conference destination. But it needs to be sold as a package deal - you can't just fill a truck up with staging and sound and light kit and 'do' the Isle of Man, like you could any UK town or city.

Did you ever do one for 'Dante's of Reading' a fireplace company ....? If so I remember you

Kind of telling that IOM finances conference in October wasn't held on the IOM. The IOM probably has a shot as a conference venue, if like Stu says the cost of travel can be made up by the savings in other areas or the benefits of hosting here.

There might be opportunities due to environmental reasons too, particularly as the cost of flying goes up. Instead of flying your team out to somewhere more exotic, send em to the IOM for the conference and team building exercisers. We can do quite a lot of that teamy type stuff, kayaking, abseiling, pot holing, etc and we have venues that can host the business stuff too.

I like the idea Slim and if spending 200k results in revenue of £5million, then it sounds pretty good to me and we should be having more of them. A finance conference may just be the thing this island might need at the moment but I can't comment further on that, as I know nothing about finances apart from juggling the personal kitty. (Not the cat before you say anything keyboarder) :lol:

As for promoting the place, go for it :thumbsup: and why not? It's better than running the place down all the time, because I personally think this place is far better for my family, than that of across. (No, I'm not in PR either) :P

...80% of the customers of my client had cancelled their invitations to some lavish hospitality and a multimedia sales pitch because 'it wouldn't send the right message to the workforce'.

There may be some wires crossed here - I'd distinguish between conferences and corporate events. By 'conferences' I take it to mean the kind of thing put together by a conference organiser or sponsor. Academic conferences (e.g. diabetes research), professional conferences (e.g. diabetes management practices for healthcare professionals), and trade conferences (e.g. conference on intelligent transport systems). The organiser is looking to host an event which will attract enough to register (and pay) to make it profitable to run or cover costs.

If talking corporate events - such as the lavish sales pitch, teambuilding, product launches, courses and the like, that is a different sector. I agree IoM can compete here. I don't see how it can do with conferences which are highly saturated market. Conferences proper are content-driven - experts giving talks and workshops with some networking. It is about information, and is a bit like a publishing model. Location, sightseeing and activities etc. do not add any value - location matters principally in terms of accessibility, cost and conference hall facilities. Why would anyone choose to host a conference e.g. on diabetes research in IoM? Or a conference on mobile phone ecommerce? Why not just hold this in London where most people are, and can get to easily. Those it is aimed at are more likely to come than if in IoM.

Conferences should also be distinguished from trade fairs, markets and expos. e.g. Frankfurt book fair, Cannes Film & TV market (at film festival), markets for video games, trade expos - boat and car shows and so on. Sundance has become quite an important part of the circuit for independent films - and attracts bankers, lawyers and others who do business there.

There may be some limited opportunities for 'conferences' proper. e.g. a conference on sustainable fisheries management. But that would be if there is a niche that hasn't already been filled, and where initiative for this and organisation comes from IoM itself.

The point is simply play to the strengths and develop and invest where can be competitive and where IoM can 'add value'. I don't see IoM being competitive in conferences proper (less so that say Peterborough). IMO a very strong USP could be developed in other sectors for hosted events - where activities and locale do add value.

i suppose the IOM would be ideal for a money laundering conference, all those millionaire nigerian generals i keep getting emails about could attend, they could maybe get a few tips from local business men?? they certainly know how to rip people off.

...80% of the customers of my client had cancelled their invitations to some lavish hospitality and a multimedia sales pitch because 'it wouldn't send the right message to the workforce'.

There may be some wires crossed here - I'd distinguish between conferences and corporate events. By 'conferences' I take it to mean the kind of thing put together by a conference organiser or sponsor. Academic conferences (e.g. diabetes research), professional conferences (e.g. diabetes management practices for healthcare professionals), and trade conferences (e.g. conference on intelligent transport systems). The organiser is looking to host an event which will attract enough to register (and pay) to make it profitable to run or cover costs.

If talking corporate events - such as the lavish sales pitch, teambuilding, product launches, courses and the like, that is a different sector. I agree IoM can compete here. I don't see how it can do with conferences which are highly saturated market. Conferences proper are content-driven - experts giving talks and workshops with some networking. It is about information, and is a bit like a publishing model. Location, sightseeing and activities etc. do not add any value - location matters principally in terms of accessibility, cost and conference hall facilities. Why would anyone choose to host a conference e.g. on diabetes research in IoM? Or a conference on mobile phone ecommerce? Why not just hold this in London where most people are, and can get to easily. Those it is aimed at are more likely to come than if in IoM.

Conferences should also be distinguished from trade fairs, markets and expos. e.g. Frankfurt book fair, Cannes Film & TV market (at film festival), markets for video games, trade expos - boat and car shows and so on. Sundance has become quite an important part of the circuit for independent films - and attracts bankers, lawyers and others who do business there.

There may be some limited opportunities for 'conferences' proper. e.g. a conference on sustainable fisheries management. But that would be if there is a niche that hasn't already been filled, and where initiative for this and organisation comes from IoM itself.

The point is simply play to the strengths and develop and invest where can be competitive and where IoM can 'add value'. I don't see IoM being competitive in conferences proper (less so that say Peterborough). IMO a very strong USP could be developed in other sectors for hosted events - where activities and locale do add value.

All good points.

S

i suppose the IOM would be ideal for a money laundering conference, all those millionaire nigerian generals i keep getting emails about could attend, they could maybe get a few tips from local business men?? they certainly know how to rip people off.

A conference on the subject of cynicism would play to the strengths of this forum.

S

I like the idea Slim and if spending 200k results in revenue of £5million, then it sounds pretty good to me and we should be having more of them.

Not quite - closer to an estimated £1m extra being spent.

Before spending this there were 16 'conferences'. After 20, with estimate £5m spent in IoM. If the additional 4 'conferences' were attributable to the extra expenditure, then roughly £1m.

For every £1 spent in IoM, there are other benefits - all the jobs and suppliers and related income which goes into that. It's certainly well worth the investment.

However I think it is a mistake to be talking about this as about 'conferences'. This business being brought into IoM seems to be corporate events - which is different. It's a very worthwhile market and as I said, IoM has tremendous potential in this area. However I'd think it needs to be considered in terms of group events and activities tourism - not in terms of 'conferences'. The press release and statements are indicative of not being really on target about this. Saying about being a 'conference' location is not the way to get the right message across. To say it is a great location for corporate events and activities is a different label. IMO DLT need to be a bit more up to speed with this market and what it's about - marketing IoM as a place for 'conferences' shows the marketing probably isn't quite all it should be. (it may even damage credibility by showing DLT don't really understand this sector).

So great, build on this success, build better expertise in this sector, understand what really attracts them and how to crack this market - and with a bit of investment in the right places it could pay off extremely handsomely as IoM does indeed have a lot to offer in that area.

(incidentally another 'group events and activities' segment is the special interest group - wine tours, cultural tours and the like. If I remember right, for example IoM was on itinerary as part of Arthurian legend tours).

You lot have short memories. In the 60's and 70's Douglas was one of the top conference venues in the British Isles, up there with Blackpool and Brighton.

the Villa and the Palace were great venues, and conferences had three or four thousand delegates attending in some cases.

I remember the TUC conference being here, Ted Heath was over for a conference, as was Harold Wilson for another. I also remember seeing Neil Kinnock as a youngish man giving a speech at the Palace. Lots of the big Trade Unions had conferences here

The Tourist Board had a whole section just dealing with conferences, which were a great moneyspinner. With a bit of imagination and encouragement it could happen again.

Although Ted Heath and Harold Wilson are unlikely to turn up this time.

You lot have short memories.

You too matey - in those days the Island had strange buildings known as Hotels also used by that now extinct species the Tourist.

I doubt if the deligates want to camp for a week.

glasto-83-nude-dudes-400.jpg

You lot have short memories. In the 60's and 70's Douglas was one of the top conference venues in the British Isles, up there with Blackpool and Brighton.

You raise a great point.

I wonder how this years 20 compares to, say, the 1970s?

Maybe if we knew that we'd know whether this mega investment has been worth it.

Maybe it was all that blue skies, out of the box thinking that got some companies into the mess they now find themselves in.

Maybe they should stay at home and do some sensible hard thinking and planning now.

Archived