Term Time Absence Fines !

Cronky

I have just found this in the EDUCATION (MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS) BILL:

Clause 6 increases the maximum fine on a parent for a child's nonattendance, enables a fixed penalty to be imposed,

The fine is set at £50 but is does not say whether that is per day of absence or for the whole holiday. Does anyone know more about this?

I really cannot believe they are doing this in the Isle of Man. First we get a tough, almost threatening, letter from the Department of Education about term time absences. Then the Minister comes on the radio and postpones the policy until next year. Now, sneaked in as a clause in the this Bill is a policy of fines if you take your kid out during term time. The point is that it's the Department who will pass judgement on what parents want to do.

Some people are talking about 'independence' from the UK with the row over the Icelandic bank etc. Frankly, as a parent, it feels pretty much like we are living in another English county. All they seem to these days is copy everything the UK are doing.

I have just found this in the EDUCATION (MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS) BILL:

Clause 6 increases the maximum fine on a parent for a child's nonattendance, enables a fixed penalty to be imposed,

The fine is set at £50 but is does not say whether that is per day of absence or for the whole holiday. Does anyone know more about this?

I really cannot believe they are doing this in the Isle of Man. First we get a tough, almost threatening, letter from the Department of Education about term time absences. Then the Minister comes on the radio and postpones the policy until next year. Now, sneaked in as a clause in the this Bill is a policy of fines if you take your kid out during term time. The point is that it's the Department who will pass judgement on what parents want to do.

Some people are talking about 'independence' from the UK with the row over the Icelandic bank etc. Frankly, as a parent, it feels pretty much like we are living in another English county. All they seem to these days is copy everything the UK are doing.

That's for truancy - the text says:

Where a constable or an authorised person has reasonable cause to believe that a person has committed or is committing an offence under section 29 of the Education Act 2001 (failure to secure regular attendance of registered pupil)....

If you haven't fallen foul of section 29 of the previous act, this section of the new bill will not come into force.

.....blah......All they seem to these days is copy everything the UK are doing.

Yeah, I mean, how dare they suggest that children should attend school?

Next they will be saying that I can't give alcohol to my 8 year old, or that I have to stop my 13 year old taking the car for a quick spin when he's bored.

Tyrants.

Archived