Solway Harvester Decision

Lee54

Let's not forget one thing and that is that the Solway Harvester is no longer a grave, the bodies were recovered and now have their own graves where the families can do their grieving. It has lain in a pretty unreverential state for years in Douglas harbour as a potential 'scene of crime'.

Time for it to go, whether that is back to the watery depths or cut up for scrap I don't think really matters, provided it is done with due regard to those most directly affected. It has given up its most precious cargo and has nothing more to give in the way of comfort to the families, I suspect. One last gesture, if it is to be scrapped, may be to sink the name plates on the boat over where it sank as a symbolic token to mark the spot for the memory of the families if nothing else.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are also all kinds of evironmental implications to just dumping it out at sea too. It would need to have all cables and contaminants removed before it could be given any kind of environmental certificate and the cost would probably be incredible and at the tax payers expense. There is a difference to a ship sinking by accident and a government taking ships out to sea and just scuttling them.

There are also all kinds of evironmental implications to just dumping it out at sea too. It would need to have all cables and contaminants removed before it could be given any kind of environmental certificate and the cost would probably be incredible and at the tax payers expense. There is a difference to a ship sinking by accident and a government taking ships out to sea and just scuttling them.

Is that why many of the worlds progressive countries are sinking ships on a monthly basis to create new marine habitats

There would be no cost or very little cost to the Government, the work required to make the ship environmentally safe could be done by volunteers as I previously posted. The boat was sunk for quite a while and a great deal of contaminates has been washed away, very little work is required in making other areas of the boat safe.

As for being environmentally friendly, that's a joke, the normal procedure over the past few years has been to tow the old fishing boats out to sea and burn them.

Nature is very good at turning wrecks into a living place for all types of sea life and that's where the benefits are in sinking the boat. But it is nice to learn that the minister that is making the decision was not aware of the creation of artificial reefs.

Dear Scrappey, I'm sure you would love to swim amongst the wrecks on the seabed around the IOM. There is so much history, sealife and the pleasure of diving to experience.

Do a try- dive this winter. You might even have me training you

My natural habitat is land. To go into an environment where I need apparatus to help me breath, equipment to help me stay underwater and the need to have at least one other person with me, to be safe and insured, is not my idea of a sensible hobby or past-time. So I must decline your kind offer.

The boat has history of being where 7 people died due to the criminal acts of another person. The dead are buried and the families greive over them at their gravesides. To make it into an amusement park is quite tasteless in my opinion, let's have a bonfire at Summerland and a skijump at the 26th mile post. Perhaps if you did get your way you would have t-shirts printed with "I've dived the Solway Harvester and survived". Send one of those to the families.

Skrappey

Have you ever seen the damage that's been done to the sea bed around the IOM by over fishing, its been flattened, marine life is struggling to find any sort of habitat to survive. You talk of helping the environment, what would you do or suggest that would help.

I've not mentioned helping the environment, the only way to do that is if we all fucked off and left it alone.

As I intimated, I don't dive so the answer to your question is no, obviously.

Who's to say the seabed around the island wasn't always flat, probably was actually.

Over fishing harms the fish stocks, not the seabed.

Marine life survives in their own habitat, the water.

Don't you think it's being a bit arrogant to suggest they need mans intervention to survive? More likely the opposite.

I've not mentioned helping the environment, the only way to do that is if we all fucked off and left it alone.

Who's to say the seabed around the island wasn't always flat, probably was actually.

Don't you think it's being a bit arrogant to suggest they need mans intervention to survive? More likely the opposite.

Maybe you should take a look at this, and the boat is only towing three dredgers a side most of the boats here are towing 7 a side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mov6shyzvAQ

Never heard of flat-fish or scallops?

They live on the sea-bed, and to catch them you have to dredge up the sea-bed.

S

I'm not interested in this thread going from an item about playing at the Solway harvester to one about my ignorance or otherwise of fishing practices in the Irish Sea. I've never eaten a scollop and see no reason why I would want to.

Leave the harvester alone, scrap it and repay some of the money the government has spent on it.

Of course you could buy it and do what you like with it. That would mean spending your own money though.

Of course you could buy it and do what you like with it. That would mean spending your own money though.

Now thats a good idea, pity the Government wont sell it on to a third party, because im sure the money to buy it would not be a problem :D

Guest chunkylover
We cant always believe what an MHK says, can we.

Similarly we can't always believe what you say either........so let it go.

Maybe you could ask for yourself by contacting the families spokesman, Rev. Alex Currie, COE Isle of Whithorn.

Yeah of course I will do that straight away...cock.

My nominations for you this year continue to hold true......cheers

Mind you they say Ramsey is full of the dead, so sending the Solway Harvester to Ramsey is the right thing :o

Oh very funny - are you trying to be totally disrespectful or are you just thick??

Actually just read another post calling you a prick - that'll do as a description.

Archived