[BBC News] Call for government relocations

Newsbot

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what happens when the Health Department decide to open a new clinic in Port Erin instead of Peel, and Peel gets a new Primary School instead of Ramsey and Ramsey gets a monorail.

Total non sequitur.

I suggest you search the forums using the term 'monorail'.

I suggest you post a link.

S

The headline should read

"Ramsey Commissioners finally realise that there is f**k all reason to go to Ramsey unless you work there"

I wonder how Ramsey is going to fare in the forthcoming credit crunch? Its still not really recovered from the 1973 recession - its going to be really shagged moving forward.

they shuda got the Sewage Treatment Plant or that monster of Waste Incinerator lol can we relocate them to ramsey??? :lol:

A gradual relocation could be organised quite easily, starting from a small base and expanding upon it. However, it should also be carried out in parallel with a fully independent review into government staffing, not like the whitewash we got last time.

I'm in favour of relocating departments, as I've specified many a time on MF, not least for reasons of: easying congestion and infrastructure in Douglas, reassessing what government employees do and why there are so many in this digital age, spreading out housing, and regeneration.

Jeebus, you'd think by some of the comments above that we were sending them to John O' Groats, not a couple of miles up the road.

A gradual relocation could be organised quite easily, starting from a small base and expanding upon it. However, it should also be carried out in parallel with a fully independent review into government staffing, not like the whitewash we got last time.

I'm in favour of relocating departments, as I've specified many a time on MF, not least for reasons of: easying congestion and infrastructure in Douglas, reassessing what government employees do and why there are so many in this digital age, spreading out housing, and regeneration.

Jeebus, you'd think by some of the comments above that we were sending them to John O' Groats, not a couple of miles up the road.

Quite right - but we must remember that these are Manx miles which are about 10 times longer than those 'across' and make even short distances prohibitive.

Sebrof, since you made the lamentable decision to join these forums I have tried my best to ignore you. A difficult task given your propensity to quote large posts in their entirety and add an inane comment afterwards. (Are you Skeddan's sock puppet BTW - you're equally without worth). Largely, however, I've tried to live and let live and just ignore you, but it is hard to do this when you reply to my posts. Please Fuck Off.

Sebrof, since you made the lamentable decision to join these forums I have tried my best to ignore you. A difficult task given your propensity to quote large posts in their entirety and add an inane comment afterwards. (Are you Skeddan's sock puppet BTW - you're equally without worth). Largely, however, I've tried to live and let live and just ignore you, but it is hard to do this when you reply to my posts. Please Fuck Off.

Thanks for the "please". There's a gentleman in you trying desperately to get out.

S

Before talking relocation they need to talk about how many people will be needed in the PS over the next few years.

Consolidation not relocation!

Before talking relocation they need to talk about how many people will be needed in the PS over the next few years.

Consolidation not relocation!

There was a good independent report on the Scope and Structure of Government a couple of years ago.

The only response from government at the time was 'We can't privatise the buses!'

Tony Brown is now sitting on that report. Or maybe he has progressed to 'looking at it'.

Oh look Ramsey are bleating "gimme, gimme, gimme" again they won't be happy until every penny spent on this Island is spent there.

There are pessimists who reckon that could be a possibility soon. All the money on the Island - would buy say, a couple of packs of A4 paper from mission's retail outlet.

Back strictly on topic. Port Erin Marine Biological Station would make a lovely little Government office.

There was a good independent report on the Scope and Structure of Government a couple of years ago.

Is this the one?

Govt Review

In the present economic circumstances talk of spending money on relocating departments seems out of touch with reality.

When the opportunity arises sometime in the future the first step of any exercise needs to be to get the strutures and numbers right rather than moving first and trying to sort the structures out after the move.

Basic business IT practice is to get the operations as effective as possible first and then design the system. Same applies to relocations.

Archived