[BBC News] Victim support charity calls rise

Newsbot

Let me tell you, from personal experience, the workers at victim support are the best... and by a long way. Please support them if you can.

:)

I am Victim Support volunteer and the training they give you is really good! Compared to any paid job I have had the perks of doing Victim Support far outdo the perks from those jobs. Just listening to people can help so much.

Let me tell you, from personal experience, the workers at victim support are the best... and by a long way. Please support them if you can.

I am Victim Support volunteer and the training they give you is really good! Compared to any paid job I have had the perks of doing Victim Support far outdo the perks from those jobs. Just listening to people can help so much.

Christ i would hate to ring up and find you on the end of the line to discuss my fears i may be a heterosexual. or am i mixing you up with the Samaritans?

That's fantastic work you are doing and I shouldn't imagine the confidentiality part is easy either on the Isle of Man.

That's fantastic work you are doing and I shouldn't imagine the confidentiality part is easy either on the Isle of Man.

Well I now live in Salford whilst I study. But I thought about voluntary work and Victim Support seemed to appeal because a friend said how much training they give and how anyone can do it who has at least some empathy.

Lots of people say to me that they couldn't do it, they think it is scary going into someone elses home and listening to them. But it really isn't hard, I am not the most confident of people in certain respects but these are people who just want you to listen, they want you to be there and because you can gather what has happened you will want to help them.

Honestly, almost everyone can do it.

But even in the Isle of Man, I don't think the confidentiality thing will be a massive problem. You aren't going to blabber on to your friends or family about how so and so had this happen to them because there is no doubt that on the Isle of Man that information would get back to the Victim. But after being with that person you wouldn't really want to share it, especially since the Managers in Victim Support are there to talk to.

Christ i would hate to ring up and find you on the end of the line to discuss my fears i may be a heterosexual. or am i mixing you up with the Samaritans?

What do you mean about you being a heterosexual? We can discuss these fears here now if you are comfortable? (joke)

No, it is not the Samaritans. If you are the victim of a crime the police refer your details to victim support who you contact if you want to speak with someone for support - emotional, practical or both.

I pick up a client (victim), arrange a time to see them, go to their home and sit with them to listen and offer any practical advice that they want and I think might help.

Well I now live in Salford whilst I study. But I thought about voluntary work and Victim Support seemed to appeal because a friend said how much training they give and how anyone can do it who has at least some empathy.

Lots of people say to me that they couldn't do it, they think it is scary going into someone elses home and listening to them. But it really isn't hard, I am not the most confident of people in certain respects but these are people who just want you to listen, they want you to be there and because you can gather what has happened you will want to help them.

Honestly, almost everyone can do it.

But even in the Isle of Man, I don't think the confidentiality thing will be a massive problem. You aren't going to blabber on to your friends or family about how so and so had this happen to them because there is no doubt that on the Isle of Man that information would get back to the Victim. But after being with that person you wouldn't really want to share it, especially since the Managers in Victim Support are there to talk to.

What do you mean about you being a heterosexual? We can discuss these fears here now if you are comfortable? (joke)

No, it is not the Samaritans. If you are the victim of a crime the police refer your details to victim support who you contact if you want to speak with someone for support - emotional, practical or both.

I pick up a client (victim), arrange a time to see them, go to their home and sit with them to listen and offer any practical advice that they want and I think might help.

Sounds great for getting the 'skeet' but seriously like, im sure its a valuable thing for people who don't have anyone close to turn too.

I've had help from victim support here on the island and I cannot praise them enough.

Superb people, and I'm very grateful for them having been there, especially after I had previously been so sceptical about the genuine usefulness of these kind of services.

Sounds great for getting the 'skeet' but seriously like, im sure its a valuable thing for people who don't have anyone close to turn too.

Sometimes friends and family can actually victimise the person further asking question like "why did you leave the front door unlocked", "why did you go out then (or there)" or sometimes get sick of the person talking about it all the time. There is a lot of value in having someone who is a stranger just sit there and recongise the impact the crime had on the person and validate their feelings. Friends and family are often not as good as they would want to be at helping the person.

And sometimes people are too caught up in shock that they cannot empower themselves fast enough and need help, they need help in maybe calling insurance companies or cancelling credit cards, etc.

A lot of the time you offer some common sense to a situation where the person is too much shock to consider things that would seem natural to people in a settled state.

It's good to see Victim Support get a mention

["Victim Support also works to promote and advance the rights of victims and witnesses. We are committed to welcoming and involving minority and disadvantaged groups throughout the organisation"]

Good luck to them :thumbsup:

It's good to see Victim Support get a mention

["Victim Support also works to promote and advance the rights of victims and witnesses. We are committed to welcoming and involving minority and disadvantaged groups throughout the organisation"]

Good luck to them :thumbsup:

As you know I very much seem to champion the rights of offenders in terms of them being imprisoned, but this is about my objection to imprisonment as something I think it completely unsuitable in dealing with bad behaviour. And I do not hold the mentality that responsibility for crime lies with the inidividual and nobody else, because society has created that person and they are a product of society. They are also many crimes which I think should not be and are often good things not bad things. Though I couldn't do Witness Support, however, as I would not want to participate in supporting a client seeing justice done by imprisoning the perpetrator of the crime.

But when it comes to theft from another person of the same class, when it comes to assault, muggings, harrassment, racist and homophobic abuse I think these are terrible acts. And the impact they can have on a person are profound and can often last a long time. And I can tell you that doing victim support really opens your eyes up to what the impact of crime is on person. This does not make me feel more maligned towards the perpetrators but makes you recognise the scale of the problems in society. It really has opened my eyes up. But the satisfaction often comes from seeing that the person feels better now that they know someone cares enough to listen.

As I said, if you can spare an hour or two a week go and do some volunteering!

Well, I have only the highest praise for Victim Support. I had to give evidence for the prosecution in a high profile case, and they really were (to coin a corny phrase, but it fits) a tower of strengh to myself and 2 other witnesses.

The case dragged on for about 5 years and I really do not know how I would have coped without them.

Great to see a local cause getting such good support, I get pissed off with everyone bleating on about world this day and world that day (Which I totaly refuse to support), it's about time we looked to our local support groups (Which I fully support and often).

Archived