[BBC News] Victim support charity calls rise

Newsbot

When I was at University I became involved in night line, a sort of samaritans for studenst and spent one night evey three weeks by the phone.

When I got back I became involved in setting up Samaritans, helping pick the premises, converting them, fund raising and then being in the firt group of volunteers to train

Later after I had left Samaritans I was involved in setting up Lesbian and gay Switchboard and still help run the counselling offered therought the IOMLGS website www.gayinfo.org.im

10 years ago I received a phone call from a Government Minister who knew i was good a setting up charitable organisations. There had ben a steering committee for 15 years trying to set up a Victim Support for IOM. Things were not going well. Would i come in and get it going

I attended my first meeting, nothing was going to happen. POlice were not too friendly towards the idea. usuakl stuff data Proection, we cannot give info to you about victims of crime. I went away to Merseyside region for a three day fact finding trip I inspected a number of branches, spoke to volunteerrs and team leaders andsaw how training worked.

Next committee meeting I went armed with a time table. it was May. We were opening on 3rd january the next year, we had to recruit a paid worker, train, recruit volunteersm train, fundraise, find and adapt premises. Everything was timetabled and I allocated resoponsibility.

I'm a ruthless bastard sometimes. Eyes opened, some shouldesr shriugged, but give them their due they all stayed on board and pulled.

WE made it by the skin of or teeth and opened on the due date with a property we owned with a flat above we let out to have income and a DHA grant

I retired as Chair some time ago. I'm definitely a starter, not a stayer. In fact I think it is beneficial to move on so you do not get stale

I am so proud of what the team has achieved, under my leadeership and subsequently. At first it was only victims, the witness service was just starting as I stepped down.

Thanks go to the Governmemt for substanytial funding, the paid worker for unceasing hard work, volunters for hours of time and the fundraisers, ordinary men and women who contribute a bit.

If you cannot help in any other way become a fund raiser, give a tenner, or whatever you can afford.

Archived