Mhk Sees A Few More Votes For The Future

%age

I'm incredibly disappointed in Mr Quirk running to the press over this matter. As he knows full well, matters discussed in Committee sessions cannot be discussed in public, so I find his approach of writing to each of the Commissioners on Tynwald headed paper demanding details of the decision and asking how we individually voted on the matter to be inappropriate.

I'd be incredibly disappointed that you saw fit to post this on a public forum before picking up the phone and telling David Quirk this. Are you spokesman for the Commissioners now?

No, absolutely not. I think I said that I can't speak for the other Board members. I cannot and would not ever presume to speak for the Board. And standing orders also prevent me discussing the specifics or background of this decision in public.

But yes, I did speak to Mr Quirk about this, at the public session of the Board meeting last Monday when I asked him if he could provide more information about why he wanted the hall, which might be enough to review the previous decision. Unfortunately it seems he has declined to answer that request.

I would like very much for the Commissioners and MHKS in all areas to be able to work more closely together, and to avoid having conversations via Manx Radio or the newspapers. That's rarely productive for anyone, least of all the people of Onchan. To reiterate, I really do respect the commitment and effort of Mr Quirk in fighting for the groups he is a member of. I just don't think that in this case he has gone about things in the most productive way.

I'm incredibly disappointed in Mr Quirk running to the press over this matter. As he knows full well, matters discussed in Committee sessions cannot be discussed in public, so I find his approach of writing to each of the Commissioners on Tynwald headed paper demanding details of the decision and asking how we individually voted on the matter to be inappropriate.

I'd be incredibly disappointed that you saw fit to post this on a public forum before picking up the phone and telling David Quirk this. Are you spokesman for the Commissioners now?

No, absolutely not. I think I said that I can't speak for the other Board members. I cannot and would not ever presume to speak for the Board. And standing orders also prevent me discussing the specifics or background of this decision in public.

But yes, I did speak to Mr Quirk about this, at the public session of the Board meeting last Monday when I asked him if he could provide more information about why he wanted the hall, which might be enough to review the previous decision. Unfortunately it seems he has declined to answer that request.

I would like very much for the Commissioners and MHKS in all areas to be able to work more closely together, and to avoid having conversations via Manx Radio or the newspapers. That's rarely productive for anyone, least of all the people of Onchan. To reiterate, I really do respect the commitment and effort of Mr Quirk in fighting for the groups he is a member of. I just don't think that in this case he has gone about things in the most productive way.

Do you not think though that you should join these organisations like Quirk, then mabe you would have won the remaining seat rather then him? Quirk has tried and failed to get in on so many elections that the option to get involved with the various organisations such as the band, the pensioners club, football etc etc - has worked for him!

it is a shame that he struggles with national politics, i know that he is interested in waste but it hardly gets us over the global economic slowdown.

the commissioners should deal with village issues and MHK's should deal with national politics. these stories in our media do nothing for our international reputation.

why do you keep saying how much you respect Quirk? i am sure his former employers at the douglas corpi could offer an opinion.

Archived