[BBC News] 'Record' Manx dolphins sighting

Newsbot

Well I've seen them twice personally ,once off the West coast (100+) and once off the East coast (50+) maybe I was Hallucinating? :)

Sounds like it.

Or more likely you made a mistake with the identification - identification of cetaceans is very difficult.

No typo! the frickin things migrate down past our coastline en -masse every year !

En-masse???

No they don't.

There's less than ½ dozen reliable records each year of Bottle-nosed Dolphin and the same number for Risso's Dolphin. The common cetacean in Manx waters is Harbour Porpoise.

Large pods of Dolphins are spotted off the coast of the Island every year but not as close to shore as this pod

Please S.T.S. :)

Well I've seen them twice personally ,once off the West coast (100+) and once off the East coast (50+) maybe I was Hallucinating? :)

Sounds like it.

Or more likely you made a mistake with the identification - identification of cetaceans is very difficult.

Please enlighten me oh knowledgable one?

Please S.T.S. :)

I don't know what this means. Obviously not so much the "Knowledgable one" am I?

Please enlighten me oh knowledgable one?

Well, there are several species of dolphin that have been, or have the potential to be, recorded in the Irish Sea - Common, Bottle-nosed, White-sided, White-beaked and Risso's to name but a few. Then there's the really much more common Harbour Porpoise.

Can you definitely say which of these species you have seen? If so, what criteria did you use for identifying them?

I'm afraid I cannot enlighten you any more than to point out the potential ID pitfall species.

Let's not forget that 90% of these animals' features remain submerged for long periods of time thus making seeing the relevent ID criteria difficult (to put it mildly).

So to conclude, unless you're a very experienced cetacean ID expert, I'm afraid your records will be viewed as anecdotal at best.

Forgive me if I am wrong on this C.J.W. but your post reads like just the sort the sort of thing you would expect from a Uni educated smartass

who's see seen plenty of videos ,read plenty of books but seen little of the actual event , due to the fact that they are sitting in their centrally heated office drinking coffee drawing up graphs for the stupid people! :)

Let me reiterate for you !

There is a migration of Dolphins Down the coast of the Isle of Man every year in a North-South direction !

Oh yea! one more thing the S.T.S. was not aimed at you but Lee 54!

But just so you don't feel left out heres one for you

Please C.J.W. will you S.T.S :)

I think the count is highly suspicious.

Its very very easy to over count dolphins as they rarely all break the surface at the same time.

I took about an hour to accurately count a total of 7 (bigger and slower) rissos dolphin earlier in the year.

Ive emailed the sighting to one of the top uks dolphin experts to see what she makes of it. Ie is 150 bottle nosed an actual possibility in the irish sea for a start off.

Forgive me if I am wrong on this C.J.W. but your post reads like just the sort the sort of thing you would expect from a Uni educated smartass

who's see seen plenty of videos ,read plenty of books but seen little of the actual event , due to the fact that they are sitting in their centrally heated office drinking coffee drawing up graphs for the stupid people! :)

Yes, you're (very) wrong but also forgiven.

It's just a shame that you had to jump to that conclusion- especially as it was you who asked me to enlighten you. Well I tried, but perhaps the terms I used could have been put into a more layman-like format.

well it seems this record is poo as first thought.

the uk dolphin expert replied and said 150 bottled nosed is the entire irish sea population. The chances of them all having a big party in douglas bay is a near impossibility.

She thinks either its been very poor counting or it was a big group of common dolphin.

Archived