Many Of Us Are Lawbreakers

Slim

Interesting read Chinahands link in the keyboarder thread:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/us/27myspace.html?_r=1

“As a result of the prosecutor’s highly aggressive, if not unlawful, legal theory,” said Matthew L. Levine, a former federal prosecutor who is a defense lawyer in New York, “it is now a crime to ‘obtain information’ from a Web site in violation of its terms of service."

She's guilty not because the woman allegedly enticed a young girl to commit suicide, she's guilty because she violated an online service terms of use.

I violate this services terms of use all the time probably, because it's terms of use are fairly broad and open to interpretation, eg:

'no obscenities', or 'no identifying'. What's an obscenity? Is my picture of a cock posted in reply to Gladys an obscenity? What's identifying? Is saying 'I saw Rhumsaa in strandstreet' in the MF spotting thread identification?

The other worry is they prosecuted based on the location of the server. Yet you've know reliable way of knowing where that server is. So how do you know what law you're operating under? I'm pretty sure the manxforums server is in the USA, but I'm not sure exactly where.

Quite worrying!

Interesting read Chinahands link in the keyboarder thread:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/us/27myspace.html?_r=1

“As a result of the prosecutor’s highly aggressive, if not unlawful, legal theory,” said Matthew L. Levine, a former federal prosecutor who is a defense lawyer in New York, “it is now a crime to ‘obtain information’ from a Web site in violation of its terms of service."

She's guilty not because the woman allegedly enticed a young girl to commit suicide, she's guilty because she violated an online service terms of use.

I violate this services terms of use all the time probably, because it's terms of use are fairly broad and open to interpretation, eg:

'no obscenities', or 'no identifying'. What's an obscenity? Is my picture of a cock posted in reply to Gladys an obscenity? What's identifying? Is saying 'I saw Rhumsaa in strandstreet' in the MF spotting thread identification?

The other worry is they prosecuted based on the location of the server. Yet you've know reliable way of knowing where that server is. So how do you know what law you're operating under? I'm pretty sure the manxforums server is in the USA, but I'm not sure exactly where.

Quite worrying!

I agree, it is worrying. But Christ, what a sick bitch to do that. I can understand the need to find some way to punish this woman but that's all.

Quite worrying!

I would say it's more worrying that an allegedly grown woman would harrass a child to the point of suicide. There are some real nut jobs out there.

Re: internet law. Its a nightmare to police a virtual world that does not have the same clear jurisdictional boundaries as the real world and clearly that is being exploited by people with what would commonly be considered to be nefarious purposes. It's difficult to draw the line, but we certainly can't ignore the problem.

Archived