[BBC News] Officer badly hurt in car attack

Newsbot

Sultan of Shit.. would you rather they roam the streets and cause more problems... if they have to build a new prison extention then good.

I am sure you would be the first to moan if it was your car stolen or your face punched.

as for rights of moving them off Island, in my world its "do the crime, pay the time"

When you commit a crime you give up your "human rights"

If it was not such an important bird santuary etc, The Calf would make an amazing prison. Total Perfection infact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sultan of Shit.. would you rather they roam the streets and cause more problems... if they have to build a new prison extention then good.

I am sure you would be the first to moan if it was your car stolen or your face punched.

as for rights of moving them off Island, in my world its "do the crime, pay the time"

When you commit a crime you give up your "human rights"

If it was not such an important bird santuary etc, The Calf would make an amazing prison. Total Perfection infact

I think people were arguing that the prison, if it is already at full capacity and if people are being sent to the UK to serve out their time, has been a monstrous waste of money given the over inflated amount it cost. Surely any big capital project needs to have been future proofed otherwise there is no point in building it.

Can you imagine this happening here?

The officers said their patrol car had been attacked by 30 youths throwing stones and other objects. When they attempted to arrest the youths, they were attacked again and one of the officers fired three shots, killing the boy, the statement said.

Greece

No, thank god, the police don't have guns. I hope some excessive acts are carried out by the far-left groups, they appear to be well deserved.

I think people were arguing that the prison, if it is already at full capacity and if people are being sent to the UK to serve out their time, has been a monstrous waste of money given the over inflated amount it cost.

It baffles me how many big scheme and projects are carried out on the Isle of Man that costs huge amounts of money yet seem to be badly thought out. I mean how the hell can they build a new prison, have it running a few months and then realise it is at full capacity.

to be honest, how can you plan what crime is going to be committed, its not quite as easy as "times the number off outback patrons by .897 and devide by 7"

But ok, The Prison is full, GOOD shows that they are getting punished, lets deter the little fookers from committing crime.

LDV before you say it, in my opinion they are not modern day Robin Hoods, they are modern day Robin Little Fookers, and the Courts should impose proper punishment.

to be honest, how can you plan what crime is going to be committed, its not quite as easy as "times the number off outback patrons by .897 and devide by 7"

I think that you'll find that by just looking at trends in crime rates you can work it out pretty easily and extrapolate the data forward over the next 15 or 20 years. If you could be arsed that is.

I think people were arguing that the prison, if it is already at full capacity and if people are being sent to the UK to serve out their time, has been a monstrous waste of money given the over inflated amount it cost.

It baffles me how many big scheme and projects are carried out on the Isle of Man that costs huge amounts of money yet seem to be badly thought out. I mean how the hell can they build a new prison, have it running a few months and then realise it is at full capacity.

Their budget was cut badly, so that the figures didn't seem as bad as it could have been.

There's loads of different stories apparently and one is that adult prisoners under the age of 25 will go on the same wing as the young prisoners, which doesn't seem very wise to me unless it's to educate or make the kids grow up quicker?

Maybe they should build a bigger jail if they're going to lock up half of the island and Merseyside. :P Seriously though, how many additional places are there for the older prisoners, compared to the old prison? (partner won't tell me)

But ok, The Prison is full, GOOD shows that they are getting punished, lets deter the little fookers from committing crime.

LDV before you say it, in my opinion they are not modern day Robin Hoods, they are modern day Robin Little Fookers, and the Courts should impose proper punishment.

You might see it is as good that they are being punished, but if the problems of the Island are that bad that the prison is FULL, I think that a bit worrying, because prison is obviously no remedy.

I think Manxy said in another thread that the majority of people in prison were in there for drug related crimes, not theft. And no, I don't know why you think it would be ME who would think that such thieves are Robin Hoods, because it rarely is the poor who steal from the rich. The vast majority of thieves rob from their 'own kind' unfortunately because it is easier to do. I have had things stolen off me and it pissed me off no end. If only they were Robin Hoods.

But prison isn't going to deter, you need to sort the problem out rather sort out the people whose behaviour is a product of the problem.

I haven't seen any actual evidence on this forum to back up the suggestion that the prison is full. Sounds all like hearsay to me.

Not trying to be funny mojomonkey, but you won't unless you

1/ speak to a prisoner (that might be hearsay)

2/ speak to someone who works in the prison (that might be hearsay)

3/ Ask the newspapers to see how many prisoners the two adult wings hold and then find out how many they have in. (they would only hear hearsay)

4/ Come in yourself and count them (but telling someone else would become hearsay, unless you photograph them with your Nikon :D )

I don't know mojo, how can it be proved unless you see some statistical evidence and even this could be manipulated, dependent on a certain way it's read?

However, you're quite ok to be skeptical as some would love to exaggerate and the likelihood is that the Government would not admit that the place is full so soon after the place has been built, due to losing credibility, or something like that, so I'm ok if your skeptical, but I can say that I get no pleasure or displeasure in telling you or others one way or another.

It's not unusual for the prison to be full over the Christmas period. Some see it as a better option to being homeless, cold, hungry, etc. In prison they're warm, fed and even given money for Christmas from a charity.

I guess some people have booked their places a week or so earlier this year. Probably more demand now that it's a nice new prison.

You might see it is as good that they are being punished, but if the problems of the Island are that bad that the prison is FULL, I think that a bit worrying, because prison is obviously no remedy.

It isn't a remedy. The only remedy would be for ordinary, non-criminal people to form vigilante groups and take care of the really annoying lawbreakers with an occasional lynching party. Unfortunately, that would be unacceptable because it would be classed as 'anarchy.'

It isn't a remedy. The only remedy would be for ordinary, non-criminal people to form vigilante groups and take care of the really annoying lawbreakers with an occasional lynching party. Unfortunately, that would be unacceptable because it would be classed as 'anarchy.'

ROFL :lol::lol:

Even lynchings would not be a remedy. The remedy is to remove the cause of such crimes, not to punish those who did the crimes as the deterrence would have to be dependent on an almost certain chance of getting caught and extremely severe punishments. It would require extremely repressive state machinery.

If there were vigilante groups lynching people it could be called 'anarchy', but not anarchism.

Archived