Ben Diverted To Heysham

Newsbot

I was on the boat on Saturday morning which was diverted.

This is your captain speaking, pea soup in Liverpool, were off to Heysham... "" Yooorahh" came the cry from the majority of the boat !!

I guess most people would rather go the Heysham anyway judging by that !

So just time to buy a nice bacon croissant ! Big mistake. I didnt know that a croissant was a type of "biscuit" and that bacon should be served cold ! all for £3.75. Garbage.

Came back withn a flask of coffee and a M&S packed lunch. Sort it out guys, its not hard, especially given the price charged.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
for some reason the 14.15 off Heysham today was jam packed - Monady's boats are usually busier than rest of week but strange to see such a full boat at this time of year - quite a number of children as well (not as far as I could see in any school party)

I was on Yesterdays 14-15 sailing and was also very suprised it was so packed with loads of kids there were no seats , luckily i got one in the premier lounge for £13-50, had to drink loads of tea and coffee to get my moneys worth though !

The toilets were a joke, the doors were hanging off

It's just a great pity that Oz Pension funds take priority over our services. We are stuck with the inadequate Ben My Chree and an apparently highly arrogant company operating it. Sadly the jokers in Tynwald are having rings run round them by the company.

Here's a question for the alleged SP CEO who briefly put his head above the parapet here, soon took it down again by the way. Going back some months now when the Hull 050, recently named Manannan was first purchased. I stated at the time, on this forum that the vessel wouldn't be available until summer 09. Somebody claiming to be the Steam Packet CEO took me to task in no uncertain, and unpleasant, manner about it. Tell me Mr Alleged CEO was I that far out? No thought not.

Manannan won't come out before summer next year, wonder if it's because if she enters service too early she'll encounter a bit of rough weather and cancelled sailings won't seem to good for 'the biggest vessel of it's type' - on the north Irish Sea that is, in fact only between Douglas and Liverpool to be realistic.

But it is the only vessel of its type sailing on the Irish sea isn't it !! one allmighty gas guzzler !

Is it just me or can anyone see an Echo :lol::lol:

For registration purposes, her service speed is given as 37.5 knots at 800t deadweight
Ha ha I doubt if the 'muppet' will ever do 37Knts on the irish sea

Is it just me or can anyone see an Echo :lol::lol:

For registration purposes, her service speed is given as 37.5 knots at 800t deadweight
Ha ha I doubt if the 'muppet' will ever do 37Knts on the irish sea

That actually looks identical to the new beast of the irish sea , Mannnannannnnnan( doo doo di do do)? Is it ?

Hmm, yes, the crashed one is a slightly younger sister (hull 051), with the added pod on the roof that the Packet is now having put on the "muppet" (nice name, that :D and easier to say and spell than manamana)

The sister (new) is alleged to have cost US$45m. In 1999, when she was built, the £ was worth about $1.65. That makes the new vessel worth a bit over £27m. What is "Manamana" costing, including the tart up job? About £23m? And this is a 3rd hand 10 year old vessel. Bargain gas guzzler. Funny, didn't Ben cost about the same? Alright, shipbuilding costs have gone up in 10 years, but the shelf life of a steel ship has got to be a lot greater than a fast craft that seems to get dented if someone breathes (They all seem to suffer damage that takes them a few days to a few months off service. Wonder how long it'll take to repair Bonanza Express?).

As long as it doesn't have a crunch like this one..... (incidentally built about the same time) Sleipner

any idea what kind of sea state the new ship can sail in?

I know the ben sails in rougher seas than the seacats do but is the manananananan going to do the same?

I have hears 3.5m waveheight, same as Snaefell (Viking was only 3m limit)

cheers for that, sorry for lack of knowing but what wave height can the ben handle?

Archived