Dot - Icy Roads - Questions.

Fossils

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just 1 gritter on 1 road before 08.00 would have been an improvement on what I've heard of or seen.

Awww sound like someone need a Hug :hug: , I was out Monday taking the wife to the horses just after 6am and we both seen 2 gritters, one heading out from Douglas south toward Richmond hill and the other we followed out to the Braid crossroads,

Get over it and adjust your driving to suit the conditions,

This was the dhoon at 4.30, my vehicle wouldnt go any further, I drove round most of douglas, onchan and laxey and NOT one of them roads had salt on them.

it was at 6.30 when I first spotted a Salt wagon at Douglas harbour.

Some of them comments from clever bastards about driving on Ice is absolute toss, ice is very unpredictable.

The main roads (all the way to the airport from the West) this morning was treacherous, a bit of pre-emptive gritting on the major routes would have made things considerably safer. As a taxpayer, do not think that is too much to ask for.

The Airport were slow off the mark too - all early flights delayed while deicing fluid was spread over the taxiways and main runway to remove sheet ice.

The main roads (all the way to the airport from the West) this morning was treacherous, a bit of pre-emptive gritting on the major routes would have made things considerably safer. As a taxpayer, do not think that is too much to ask for.

The Airport were slow off the mark too - all early flights delayed while deicing fluid was spread over the taxiways and main runway to remove sheet ice.

To be honest the main roads are pretty well looked after but this morning it was just ridiculous.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha -

No Manx driver can drive on anything other than dry warm roads.

Heavy dew and they all slow down to less than 2 mph.

I use my tree killing 4x4, slow down with the gearbox, apply power gently, and think ahead. In a dire emergency use kerb edges to slow down or stem a skid, learn how to turn into a skid and how to unlock and re-apply your brakes if you dont have ABS fitted.

Its bloody simple - if you cannot drive on it - get out from behind the wheel and sodding walk.

I saw one gritter today when I was stuck in traffic - on quarter bridge at 9.30am. Pretty random time and place, but perfect to cover all cars in site with salt. Saw another on Monday in Kirk Michael going nowhere but still gritting, with a little mount of orange grit piling up on the road.

It's all preparation for the winter entertainment 'Skate your way round the TT Course' , after complaints about the skating rink last time.

Public Service Announcement

In ice/snow, tortoise pwns the hare. I once drove up the coast from Douglas to Ramsey in similarly nadgery conditions (Astra, skinny tyres, front wheel drive, no ABS/TCS), took about an hour..

Archived