Dot - Icy Roads - Questions.

Fossils

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No Manx driver can drive on anything other than dry warm roads.

Heavy dew and they all slow down to less than 2 mph.

I use my tree killing 4x4, slow down with the gearbox, apply power gently, and think ahead. In a dire emergency use kerb edges to slow down or stem a skid, learn how to turn into a skid and how to unlock and re-apply your brakes if you dont have ABS fitted.

Its bloody simple - if you cannot drive on it - get out from behind the wheel and sodding walk.

Kinda agree. I've passed my driving test in a snow storm (literally). Couldn't see any road markings, snow and ice everywhere, and the examiner thought it would be a great idea to take a trip to one of the other towns up a mountain road - was fun and looked a little like this:

01020137278700dk5.jpg

Difference is, though, in Bavaria people are used to driving in wintery conditions. On this little isle, there's snow and ice for a few minutes a year so I can see how it will catch some people out when you're not used to it.

Mountain road in the winter is soooooo much fun :)

dsc00954un9.jpg

The gritters were in action around the Birch Hill area of Onchan yesterday doing a good job.

I do feel the people who don't drive have to put up with very slippery pavements. They can be quite vulnerable people too, going for their morning paper and milk. The pavements are never gritted but they never have a moan

I do feel the people who don't drive have to put up with very slippery pavements. They can be quite vulnerable people too, going for their morning paper and milk. The pavements are never gritted but they never have a moan

Not sure what the score is on these shores, but in ze snowy heimatland it's the responsibility of whoever lives at an address to keep the pavement outside snowfree and safe. Mine sure is - old habits die hard :)

This was the dhoon at 4.30, my vehicle wouldnt go any further, I drove round most of douglas, onchan and laxey and NOT one of them roads had salt on them.

it was at 6.30 when I first spotted a Salt wagon at Douglas harbour.

Some of them comments from clever bastards about driving on Ice is absolute toss, ice is very unpredictable.

just to check here, on these icy roads that are so bad, you either STOPPED in the carriageway to take a picture from inside your vehicle with your phone or proper camera, OR, used your camera or phone to take a picture whilst actually travelling along?? as if thinks aren't dangerous enough without your stupid help...

Difference is, though, in Bavaria people are used to driving in wintery conditions.

But Shirley in the big Bavarian Canton north of here you have snow tyres?

Up here we put them on mid-November to the end of April.

You want some snow - some real snow? http://gallery.ham-radio.ch/main.php?g2_itemId=16672 I would love to see the Island just get one of the small dumps we get every few days :-)

This was the dhoon at 4.30, my vehicle wouldnt go any further, I drove round most of douglas, onchan and laxey and NOT one of them roads had salt on them.

Some of them comments from clever bastards about driving on Ice is absolute toss, ice is very unpredictable.

just to check here, on these icy roads that are so bad, you either STOPPED in the carriageway to take a picture from inside your vehicle with your phone or proper camera, OR, used your camera or phone to take a picture whilst actually travelling along?? as if thinks aren't dangerous enough without your stupid help...

I was stopped at the side of the road cus my vehicle couldnt go any further, I took a picture before deciding what to do next.

When wondering why they don't get out on the roads earlier it might be down to the people who drive the gritters taking it easy on their way to the depot to pick up the gritters, or perhaps you think they fly to work or slumber like firemen on site in case it gets a wee bit nippy. They had to pirouette in their cars more than likely just to get to the gritters.

I was stopped at the side of the road cus my vehicle couldnt go any further, I took a picture before deciding what to do next.

ok then, sorry for the minor slating. :P

Archived