Dot - Icy Roads - Questions.

Fossils

Most people reading this thread may never have seen a gritter. Here is a photo of one of the beasts of fable. Unfortunately I could only find this one operating in England as few people manage to spot a IOM DoT gritter in action (unless they live in Birch Hill, Onchan):

One day of ice and it's the end of the bloody world!

f6927351b2df06ec02bb92d0a1fc202b.jpg

Get a grip!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Christ, you want the government to wipe your arse for you and get you dressed in the morning too? They could always buy 300 gritters and grit every road all over the island every 10 minutes but your road tax would probably go up a notch.

That looks like a raw nerve there.

Just 1 gritter on 1 road before 08.00 would have been an improvement on what I've heard of or seen.

This weather catches the DOT out every year, without fail. It is something that they have been looking at for some time now (apparently) but by the time they have finished looking at it, Spring has come and they promise to be 'quicker' next time :D We live in hope my friend.

This weather catches the DOT out every year, without fail. It is something that they have been looking at for some time now (apparently) but by the time they have finished looking at it, Spring has come and they promise to be 'quicker' next time :D We live in hope my friend.

Yes the weather I am sure catches the DOT out at times but the blame culture on this thread I find quite astounding. I have seen the gritters out and I have seen plenty of evidence of grit on the road, however "us experts" on this forum are happy to denounce the DOT and state as fact roads have not ben gritted when we have no idea if that is the case because we "understand" that if roads are gritted that automtically means they will not be ice. Therefore if roads are icy they must not have been gritted therefore the DOT are a load of .......

Generally I would critisice the DOT for many things by routine but in this case it may be unfair as my quite little road was gritted on Tuesday evening and quite heavily. I presume one of the drivers, a member of the DOT, or somebody on call for the emergency services must live near by as I can not see why our quiet cul de sac would have been gritted otherwise. Well you know what come Wednesday morning the road was very icy and despite all the gritting. Even last night there were patches of ice where the sun had not got to and where there had been I presume little traffic despite this gritting.

It is therefore plainly evident to me therefore that purely gritting the roads is not enough to keep them frost free and any driver who believes it is and drives in icy conditions believing that just because a road has been gritted means it will be ice free at any time of the day is an accident waiting to happen.

The main roads have been gritted. I've seen the gritters out every evening/night and there haven't been many problems for those who drive with a reasonable degree of caution.

They were doing main road onchan and summer hill area at about 7am this morning. Didn't actually look like it needed doing today though, didn't see any frost at all.

Yes the weather I am sure catches the DOT out at times but the blame culture on this thread I find quite astounding. I have seen the gritters out and I have seen plenty of evidence of grit on the road, however "us experts" on this forum are happy to denounce the DOT and state as fact roads have not ben gritted when we have no idea if that is the case because we "understand" that if roads are gritted that automtically means they will not be ice. Therefore if roads are icy they must not have been gritted therefore the DOT are a load of .......

Generally I would critisice the DOT for many things by routine but in this case it may be unfair as my quite little road was gritted on Tuesday evening and quite heavily. I presume one of the drivers, a member of the DOT, or somebody on call for the emergency services must live near by as I can not see why our quiet cul de sac would have been gritted otherwise. Well you know what come Wednesday morning the road was very icy and despite all the gritting. Even last night there were patches of ice where the sun had not got to and where there had been I presume little traffic despite this gritting.

It is therefore plainly evident to me therefore that purely gritting the roads is not enough to keep them frost free and any driver who believes it is and drives in icy conditions believing that just because a road has been gritted means it will be ice free at any time of the day is an accident waiting to happen.

Remember this?

earlier this year link

So lets get this right:

Sudden frost comes not predicted by the Met office roads get gritted late you moan

Frost is predicted by the met office roads get gritted, no frost happens you moan about needless gritting and overtime cost.

If you ask nicely they may even grit every day up to your front door free of charge with the workers not getting paid then allow a social worker to come wipe your arse to save the effort for you.

Some people are never pleased but I am sure wherever they work runs perfect without any faults or cockups

Reading some of the views expressed here has opened my eyes to how much ill-informed nonsense must be posted to this and other similar forums. I'm sure that I've been guilty of it and, of course, some of the postings are made for fun.

In the context of this thread, however, successful winter highway maintenance is a complex issue, reliant upon the vagaries of the weather. The latter dictates that, with the best will in the world, there will always be scope for error. To suggest, though, that the people involved are in some way incompetent, or even negligent, is scurrilous. It's grossly unfair to castigate people who, for the most part, are trying to act for the best on the information available to them at the time that appropriate decision making is required.

Some of the posters here are obviously perfect and live in their own little cocoon, never having made a mistake. Perhaps the local media can feature these worthies in a feature entitled My Perfect World, so that we may all learn and benefit from their wonderful attributes.

I somehow doubt that - normal salt should work to at least -9/-10 if used properly. For temparatures lower than that you can get different mixtures that will still work. Trust me - grew up surrounded by snow and seen many a gritter out and working at down to -30

Amadeus I asked a couple of gritter operators today and they assured me that the gritting salt they use over here doesn't work once the temperature reaches -4/-5.

Archived