Best Game Of 2008

K.os Theory

So we're pretty much at the end of the year, got to admit it's been a mixed bag with regards to releases, yes there have been some absolute corkers released but also some steaming piles of shite as well.

What would you choose as game of the year?

I'm struggling to narrow it down, but here are some of my choices ( in no particular order )

GTA4 was amazing, the size of the city and the fact it felt "alive" was fantastic, however the lack of things to do after the story had finished has meant i've not revisited it for months.

Fallout3 again is massive, has loads to do ( I've still not seen more than I'd guess 40% of the world ), but the main story was just...weak

Gears2 looks the business, plays like a dream and has fantastic multiplayer

Resistance2 looks great, it's definately one of the best shooters, if not the best shooter on the PS3 but there are too many cheap deaths in the campaign...the online aspect though is a revelation

Left 4 Dead is just fantastic fun, one minute on top of the situation, next thing you know all hell breaks loose and everyone is dead!

LBP is just gorgeous and great fun

MGS4 I really enjoyed it, but the cut scenes...oh the cut scenes...and the last 2 levels were a fcukin chore

Pure, until SSX comes out this is the nearest thing ( apart from being on quads rather than snowboards )

DeadSpace, brilliant, atmospheric, amazing graphics and sound; from EA this is a real surprise <looks forward to the sequel> ;)

I can't choose this year...can you?

So we're pretty much at the end of the year, got to admit it's been a mixed bag with regards to releases, yes there have been some absolute corkers released but also some steaming piles of shite as well.

What would you choose as game of the year?

It has been an awsome year, and it's still happening, Prince of Persia looks amazing this week.

For me it's a tossup between GTA4, Super Smash Bros, Braid and Gears of War 2. I think Gears just pips it because of it's ace multi and single player modes. GTA4 was superb, but online was dogshit really.

Biggest let down? That nintendo didn't follow up the holy trinity of Zelda, Mario and Metroid in 2007 with anything at all worth having for the whole of 2008 other than Super Smash Bros. Pretty weak.

Of the ones I've played so far this year i'd have to say Fallout 3.

I thought GTA4 was a pile of steaming donkey shit. I didn't even finish it because it bored me.

Just ordered saints row 2 hoping that is more like what GTA should have been like.

I haven't really played that many though so my vote is probably worthless :D

MGS4 is number 1 according to a gaming magazine but Ive never played it so I wouldnt really know. My missus has just got me Resistance 2, Im not keen on human V machine/alien games but ya never know, I might even have it as my #1 game once Ive played it properly

GTAiv, totally glued to it till i finished it, pretty disappointed with it now its finished as no real draw to pull me back like previous versions. Although thats a moot point as no other games really stay alive after completion, and its a testament to rockstar as a publisher that thats what we come to expect from them. Only game that keeps me coming back for more just now is FIFA, so that gets a shout from me too.

Archived