The Manx Welcome

Port Erin

I see the hospitality industry and the Department of Tourism are promoting the famous Manx welcome again, based on a launch in 2005 with training, promotions, etc.

I would have thought the last thing we need is the famous Manx welcome! :lol:

I have never come across such complacency and general lazy, can't be arsed attitudes in the hospitality industry, pubs, restaurants and shops.

No wonder a lot of people choose to shop in Liverpool and online...better prices, better service and you don't have to put up with the Manx welcome.

I see the hospitality industry and the Department of Tourism are promoting the famous Manx welcome again, based on a launch in 2005 with training, promotions, etc.

I have never come across such complacency and general lazy, can't be arsed attitudes in the hospitality industry, pubs, restaurants and shops.

No wonder a lot of people choose to shop in Liverpool and online...better prices, better service and you don't have to put up with the Manx welcome.

Pretty apparent what you'd be best doing then, eh ?...

...GOMH*...

Pretty apparent what you'd be best doing then, eh ?...

...GOMH*...

Indeed...make my money here and spend it elsewhere where I get better value for money and service without having to put up with bone idle, surly assistants that would rather text their mates / chatter than serve customers (hence the famous Manx welcome).

We are asked to support the local shops. Give me one good reason why, when they don't even make an effort to compete?

You must admit though that it happens more often than not that you get served by someone who's attitude is that they are doing you a favour by serving you.

They live by the motto 'This job would be great if it wasn't for the customers'

I don't think it's restricted to the IoM. The UK is also full of surly gits who couldn't be arsed. We notice them here because we are looking for it, but there are some decent places. You notice that people are friendlier when their earnings depend on it, like in the USA or in car dealerships for example.

Employers are just as at fault for allowing their staff to get away with it and sometimes providing no training!

I did a manx welcome course not long ago, I saw some of the attitudes people complain about and they seem pretty deep rooted. Can't see a day course and a free lunch changing much there.

I did get a nice badge with 'Manx Welcome' written on the string.

Indeed...make my money here and spend it elsewhere where I get better value for money and service without having to put up with bone idle, surly assistants that would rather text their mates / chatter than serve customers (hence the famous Manx welcome).

We are asked to support the local shops. Give me one good reason why, when they don't even make an effort to compete?

Some places are better than others but on the whole I have to agree. I wonder if in part it's due to the negative unemployment situation we've had here: jobs (particularly those like shopwork) aren't seen as something you fight tooth and nail to get and hang on to. Add to that a lack of training (the rot starts at the top, no?) and pour on a helping of the good aul Manx fuck-it-that'll-do mentality and voila - crappy shopping experience.

A while ago I went into Douglas to buy a pair of shoes and in four consecutive shops I was either completely ignored by the assistant or was left wandering around with a sample shoe in my hand, looking for someone to help me. It stuns me - I think, don't you want my business? Don't you want me to spend money in your store? And if you get treated rudely/indifferently at the counter, it leaves such a sour taste in your mouth; they don't deserve the money you're handing over.

I know the UK can't be universally great but the last time I went to Glasgow, for instance, the contrast was immense. Maybe it was just a lucky day but there were bright, friendly, helpful staff in every shop I went to and I was commonly approached within the first couple of minutes and asked if I'd like any help. Nearly fainted.

There are a very few shops here which I support on principle because they treat you well and put a huge amount of imagination/effort into what they do...but generally I don't feel any compulsion to support local shops.

This is why initiatives like the Manx Welcome and Freedom to Flourish are destined to die away like a damp fart - they are well-intentioned but all the branding campaigns and marketing initiatives in the world can't change the fact that at a grassroots level, there are rude, complacent, apathetic people who shouldn't be in the business. It's true of retail and it's definitely true of the hospitality industry here.

I was in Tesco a couple of weeks ago and the person on the till was genuinely nice.

I was so shocked that I was nice back.

It has not happened since though so I presume she was fired for not being miserable enough

I find Tesco checkout staff polite most of the time.

Archived