The Manx Welcome

Port Erin

I put my money where my mouth is (or what ever the quirky little saying is). A shop assistant was rude to me in Next, I do not shop there, same goes with TK Maxx, they wouldn't take a dress back even though it was 'not fit for the purpose when sold' so I do not shop there anymore, their loss. I did toy with the idea that soon I would have nowhere to shop but /shrug I'm not that into shopping anyway. I prefer to support the smaller shops really anyway, except for the ones who have 50% off sales...how big was your mark-up in the first place? The people in Joye are lovely, I've bought a few things in there.

I prefer to support the smaller shops really anyway, except for the ones who have 50% off sales...how big was your mark-up in the first place?

The small shops do not gain economies of scale, and cannot afford to carry huge stocks, so their mark-up can be as high as 20% (I have seen this in a shop I once had dealings with. They gave their staff a 15% discount, but the staff could still not afford to buy in there.

They will often try to sell by stocking quality goods rather than cheap, and if challenged, will point out their high overheads. :(

You can be sure that M&S will still be making a good profit on their 20% off days - a good way of turning over stock quickly when the market is in the doldrums.

I see the hospitality industry and the Department of Tourism are promoting the famous Manx welcome again, based on a launch in 2005 with training, promotions, etc.

I would have thought the last thing we need is the famous Manx welcome! :lol:

I have never come across such complacency and general lazy, can't be arsed attitudes in the hospitality industry, pubs, restaurants and shops.

No wonder a lot of people choose to shop in Liverpool and online...better prices, better service and you don't have to put up with the Manx welcome.

Maybe it's just a reaction to you as you don't come across as a very nice person. You can always get a one-way boat to Liverpool rather than having to interact with the 'famous Manx Welcome'.

Try riding the Gatwick Express to see customer satisfaction lip service at its worst. At least our surly service industry has some emotion, even if it is the emotion of not really wanting to be wherever they are. The GE example was that she really didn't want to be in this world.

However, I did forget about Mr Dynamo in the Ronaldsway departure lounge this morning - for God's sake, send him on a course or sack him!

Try riding the Gatwick Express to see customer satisfaction lip service at its worst

Ha ha! I'm sure they have a competition going to see who can be the most miserable whilst dragging a trolley through the train mumbling "refreshments" and avoiding eye contact at all costs.

Mind you, if I had the trolley goblin job on the Gatwick Express I'd be bloody miserable as well.

I see the hospitality industry and the Department of Tourism are promoting the famous Manx welcome again, based on a launch in 2005 with training, promotions, etc.

I would have thought the last thing we need is the famous Manx welcome! :lol:

I have never come across such complacency and general lazy, can't be arsed attitudes in the hospitality industry, pubs, restaurants and shops.

No wonder a lot of people choose to shop in Liverpool and online...better prices, better service and you don't have to put up with the Manx welcome.

Maybe it's just a reaction to you as you don't come across as a very nice person. You can always get a one-way boat to Liverpool rather than having to interact with the 'famous Manx Welcome'.

You may wish to note the comments on the thread regarding, 'Shop Local' on www.iomtoday.co.im to gauge the sentiment that I have echoed above.

In essence, you have just trotted out the same old crap that parochial locals come out with, because they can not take justified observations and comments based on fact.

Awe, he is really nice (if you mean the man who works in the departure lounge bar) I used to live a few doors down from him and looks are deceiving, a lovely man and a good neighbour.

Same guy gave me his own newspaper to read in the departure lounge when the shop had none left.

Archived