Dna Database Breaches Human Rights

Lonan3

In that case, as someone who has clearly already been arrested for something, I don't see how you should have any say in what happens to me, as I haven't. I am not a criminal

I didn't say I was a criminal. You're making assumptions.

You also didn't answer my question. Probably because you don't have one. All this bluster and no substance. Disappointing.

You want us to move to a world of presumptions though - I thought you'd approve. And whether or not I can think of something they'd do with my DNA isn't really the point. I can't really think of what someone would do with my tax return either. But then, I'm not a criminal. Perhaps you should ask some of the people in your DNA-giving queue what ideas they could come up with

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see where you're coming from, but the UK has moved towards police state at a scary pace in recent times. This has nothing to do with wanting to be "edgy". The UK already has the highest prison population in Europe, highest number of cctv systems probably anywhere in the world, and the place is still a mess.

Though very far from a good system of government, I do envy the Americans. Its citizens are the most free. The British are becoming less and less so.

This was discussed on UK radio yesterday and under the present DNA system around 90 rapes and 30? murders have been detected along with countless other crimes.

I am sure the families of the victims of these murders and the victims of these other crimes feel satisfaction and support from the state with this legislation.

I Agree with W U C, if we lived in a perfect society where there was no crime, there would be no need for DNA testing etc, but we don't.

If the Police had access to the DNA of all residents etc in the UK, do you think this would help prevent and solve crime?

IMO it would.

I Agree with W U C, if we lived in a perfect society where there was no crime, there would be no need for DNA testing etc, but we don't.

If the Police had access to the DNA of all residents etc in the UK, do you think this would help prevent and solve crime?

IMO it would.

But why it is there an implicit assumption that the State should be allowed to hold such data if it wanted?

How do you think holding all this data would reduce crime? I can see it having a possible link with conviction rates, but this has nothing to do with reducing crime and I suspect there would be a greater reliance on DNA tests which isn't always clear cut or accurate.

In a perfect society we would not need to, but we DONT live in a perfect society.

IMO if a person knows that, if they where to commit lets say a robbery and they knew that if they left no finger prints or wore a mask etc, the chances of identifying or convicting them would be slim. They may make that choice.

But say that they knew that they would only have to leave a hair, scrap of skin or spittle and that’s their identity would be known. Would they maybe think twice.

It may seem like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer, but if that’s what is needed to make society a better and safer place to live, then so be it.

IMO it would.

But why it is there an implicit assumption that the State should be allowed to hold such data if it wanted?

How do you think holding all this data would reduce crime? I can see it having a possible link with conviction rates, but this has nothing to do with reducing crime and I suspect there would be a greater reliance on DNA tests which isn't always clear cut or accurate.

the state already holds your name, DOB,address, marital status and a load of other stuff. adding DNA to the list is hardly a big step. it would help conviction rates yes, but it would also reduce crime. it is fair to assume that most people who commit crime expect to get away with it if they aren't seen or caught at the scene. but if knowing that the chances of getting caught are greatly increased there is a bigger deterent, hence a reduction in crime. i'm quite sure there are folks on here who would just love to kick the crap out of someone that irks them or even erase them from existance, the only thing stopping the action is the consequences, or fear of them. if the chances of having to face the consequences of the crime are greatly increased due to a DNA database, the chances of the crime being committed would/should decrease. i'm all for it. it is only the crooks that don't want it, and the uncaught crooks are the ones shouting loudest along with the anti establishment we want anarchy faction.

But say that they knew that they would only have to leave a hair, scrap of skin or spittle and that’s their identity would be known. Would they maybe think twice.

All criminals have to do is leave a piece of someone elses DNA at the scene of crime. I.e. a piece of hair, some fag ends, a bit of broken beer glass from the pub etc. The police then have to analyse every sample they find at a crime scene to detect DNA. Every DNA trace has to be chased up and this lead to huge amounts of time wasted as they follow endless false trails.

This already a known tactic by criminals seeking to avoid detection in the UK.

it is only the crooks that don't want it, and the uncaught crooks are the ones shouting loudest along with the anti establishment we want anarchy faction.

Oh yes that is a highly accurate description on the 17 Human Rights Judges from all over Europe who rejected the UK database, and most members of Amnesty Internation, Liberty etc etc.

Let's go all the way then. Fingerprint, photograph & dna sample all citizens - and put a gps chip in each at birth, just to be safe. All the fuzz then has to do is wait for crime to come to them - instead of doing some good old fashioned police work and serving the community.

Archived