The Future Of Farming

manx maid

I think it is true to say that there are farmers and farmers, ones who reap the benefit of the bulk of Govt cash, and smaller farmers who to a great degree have been forced out of business for being too small [ in volume of trade not effin height!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it morally right that farmers will be paid not to produce food when there are kids starving to death in Africa? that was a question i heard and i think its something that we should all consider!!

Africa used to be a net exporter of food in the 1960s.. What followed was a set of policies by the IMF (demanded because of debt burdens) and dumping of food by the EU + US which effectively destroyed the African agricultural industry's food production. Without food production + exports there is no money for investment, which means very inefficient farming (and thus lack of competitiveness internationally, keeping the circle going..)

Dumping excess food on Africa as 'aid' will only compound the problem and lead to widespread international shortages in the near/long term.

No but they are being told that in order to qualify for payments under Countryside Care Scheme all they need to do is maintain the land in a condition where it could be brought back into production the following calendar year.

The countryside care scheme sounnds a bit like the care in the community scheme. I wonder if the same people are involved?

I think it is true to say that there are farmers and farmers, ones who reap the benefit of the bulk of Govt cash, and smaller farmers who to a great degree have been forced out of business for being too small [ in volume of trade not effin height!

In 5 years time when the payment changes over from historic to acreage it won't only be the small farmers out of business

what about agricultural contractors, merchants & hauliers ? there will not be enough of the few "big boys" left to keep them all in work.

Our small island industry will be easily killed off.

Well done Mr Gawne.

I think really you can only call it an industry if it is a viable business, farming is just a drain on the resources of other viable busineses, ie without unearned handouts, the business would go bust.

When there is a need to carry vital functions through difficult times there is some justification but this has gone on for over 50 years, its ingrained and seen now as a right and entitlement by agricultural busineses, their hand in your pocket, why? because we have always done it.

Archived