[BBC News] Isle of Man's 'free' street party

Newsbot

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rank hypocrisy.

Great advertising too. I live in Douglas and was shopping there this morning and had no idea this event was on.

Edited:

Sorry Bluemonday I finally get your point:-

The Human Rights Act has only applied in the IOM for 2 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/isle_of_man/4969214.stm

Fecking hypocrites alright. Maybe they should have had a second birthday party for ours in November instead?

Rank hypocrisy.

Great advertising too. I live in Douglas and was shopping there this morning and had no idea this event was on.

Edited:

Sorry Bluemonday I finally get your point:-

The Human Rights Act has only applied in the IOM for 2 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/isle_of_man/4969214.stm

Fecking hypocrites alright. Maybe they should have had a second birthday party for ours in November instead?

Yeah I see what you mean, seems a bit bizarre for the Island to have a celebration about human rights when it lags behind the UK in many respects. It does seem hypocritical.

Heyyy!! Fourm people Hiiii!!!

Dippity Doo here to bring everyone some happy time too!!!!!!!!!!

I see

The One World Centre co-ordinated the street party with a samba band and parade gathering at the Villa Marina.

I had that idea when I came to this forum long ago, a samba band at big Villa Marina and then to walk through Douglas Streets bringing happy time to all and joining in and blowing whistle and banging drum and music.

Here is Dippity Doo tune but this is only little people singing but you get the idea for when I do the Dippity Doo procession with all you forum people along but this is only little people singing but you get the idea:

Dippity_Day_002.mp3

Remember it go:

Dippity Doo, do, do

Dippity Dah, da, da

Dippity Doo Do Do

Dippity Tral la la la la h

la la la lahhh

da da de dahh

da da de da de da de dahhh

Bye for now and have a nice Dippity Happy time Saturday night.

i get the impression that none of the detractors above understand what the declaration of human rights actually is... or why it is important...

so... to say it was either hypocrisy or "just an excuse" for something, really underlines the whole reason for this event; which was to educate people as to what the UDHC was for, and how it must be maintained... and the interest [and i can assure you that the majority of people in town weren't annoyed, but were joyed by the performances - and were glad to have this event taking place]

it's nothing to do with manx law to stand up and celebrate a universal declaration which shows how we all have equal rights, in which ever country we live, whether that country has signed up to the declaration or not... we are all still equal and have rights under this declaration...

and if that's a "hippy" attitude, then it's a sad loss for the world if everyone isn't a hippy by that definition... but is it not just common sense and humanitarian respect...

it's nothing to do with manx law to stand up and celebrate a universal declaration which shows how we all have equal rights, in which ever country we live, whether that country has signed up to the declaration or not... we are all still equal and have rights under this declaration...

The celebrations in Zimbabwe must have been truly spectacular.

sorry, are you making a point? i'm not sure what you're getting at...

zimbabwe is appalling, and part of the job of the organisations which promote human rights [and the organisations involved in saturday's event] is to, and has been, raising awareness of the plight of the people there...

Rivaled only by those in Darfur and the Congo.

absolutely...

so if you yourselves want to join, and lend your actual support [rather than just a verbal shout] to the work undertaken in those places daily by DEC/ amnesty international and similar organisations, then please go to http://www.amnesty.org.uk/ and sign up... there's many ways we can all help...

edit: there's also details about the UDHR celebration which was brought to your attention on saturday... http://www.protectthehuman.com/campaigns/udhr

Archived