[BBC News] Isle of Man's 'free' street party

Newsbot

i get the impression that none of the detractors above understand what the declaration of human rights actually is... or why it is important...

so... to say it was either hypocrisy or "just an excuse" for something, really underlines the whole reason for this event; which was to educate people as to what the UDHC was for, and how it must be maintained... and the interest [and i can assure you that the majority of people in town weren't annoyed, but were joyed by the performances - and were glad to have this event taking place]

it's nothing to do with manx law to stand up and celebrate a universal declaration which shows how we all have equal rights, in which ever country we live, whether that country has signed up to the declaration or not... we are all still equal and have rights under this declaration...

and if that's a "hippy" attitude, then it's a sad loss for the world if everyone isn't a hippy by that definition... but is it not just common sense and humanitarian respect...

Is it the government who arranged this little party? If it is then it is hypocrisy. It is the Manx government that afford rights on the Isle of Man, and there are a number of issues I can think of where the Manx government has resisted affording such equality of rights and where they continue to do so. However, if this was organised by citizens who wish to highlight the achievement of the UDHR then it is a different matter.

I think it was Cheryl Cousins-but then she does so many things it's hard to keep track.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived