[BBC News] Reassurance over Manx-farmed pork

Newsbot

I look forward to a member of the Manx government force feeding a small child with pork in front of the press to prove how safe it is.

Nuts to it.

If anyone has any Irish gammon steaks going spare I will be happy to take the risk

Are you sure?????

green-pig.jpg

Actually the situation in Ireland is farcical.

The Irish Government claim they have excellent traceability for pigs as well as for cattle and sheep. So either they don't need to dispose of the 90%+ pig product that they can tell has gone nowhere near the dioxin laden bread or they are lying and they do not have an excellent trace system. I suspect that having been like a rabbit in headlights on the economic front this is the politicians chance to show the world that they are 'strong men of action capable of taking tough decisions'.

Talking to the butcher I go to in Cork he sells organic pork and cures his own bacon and hams and makes excellent sausages from the same animals - but he has still had to dispose of his stocks despite the fact that the pigs were grain fed. Quite obscene and a criminal waste.

Talking to the butcher I go to in Cork he sells organic pork and cures his own bacon and hams and makes excellent sausages from the same animals - but he has still had to dispose of his stocks despite the fact that the pigs were grain fed. Quite obscene and a criminal waste.

I agree - it's criminal. But no-one seems to give a shit for animal welfare. Every time there's headlines about pigs, cattle, sheep, turkeys, chickens it's all about the economic costs and (on RTE tonight) job losses in the pig 'industry'.

They still ship suckling calves from Cork to the continent too. I find the whole intensive meat-rearing industry obscene, and to include organically reared stock in the same cull is horrendous. I'd rather the people involved in cramming animals into sheds were culled.

I agree - it's criminal. But no-one seems to give a shit for animal welfare. Every time there's headlines about pigs, cattle, sheep, turkeys, chickens it's all about the economic costs and (on RTE tonight) job losses in the pig 'industry'.

They still ship suckling calves from Cork to the continent too. I find the whole intensive meat-rearing industry obscene, and to include organically reared stock in the same cull is horrendous. I'd rather the people involved in cramming animals into sheds were culled.

Mind you Snaipyr there is infinitely more public and political interest and concern in Ireland about the agricultural sector than there is in the UK. As Rick Stein said 'the difference between Irish and British politicians is that the Irish ones know the price of a pig.'

Basically I agree that most of the problems that ocur can be traced back to human greed - the feedstock given to cattle resulted in BSE, swill contents were supposedly the cause of the foot and mouth outbreak, poor hygiene conditions for poultry spread bird flu. A butcher friend in Nenagh, Co.Tipperary, jokes that he feeds his beef cattle on a new wonder food - grass! (brilliant aged beef too).

I am not sure how true it is but there is a rumour in Ireland that a significant number of horses and ponies are being shipped from there and the UK to Belgium (for the horse meat trade) - as people find they can't afford to pay livery costs.

The European Food Saftey Authority have put out a statement:

EFSA

EFSA’s key conclusions are:

In the most likely scenario, if someone ate an average amount of Irish pork each day throughout the period of the incident (90 days), 10% of which was contaminated at the highest recorded concentration of dioxins[1], the body burden[2] would increase by approximately 10%. EFSA considers this increase to be of no concern for this single event.

In a very extreme case, if someone ate a large amount of Irish pork each day throughout the period of the incident (90 days), 100% of which was contaminated at the highest recorded concentration of dioxins, EFSA concludes that the safety margin embedded in the tolerable weekly intake (TWI [3]) would be considerably undermined. Given that the TWI has a 10-fold built in safety margin, EFSA considers that this unlikely scenario would reduce protection, but not necessarily lead to adverse health effects.

Archived