Supermarkets

Lee54

I think he just might you know.

I believe that the revised Common Purse agreement involves a connection to the GDP of the Island versus the GDP of the UK. Ergo, the greater the GDP, the greater the proportion of VAT assigned to the Island.

Where does the turnover / profits of a UK based supermarket show up? I am guessing through the UK, therefore, falsely adding to the GDP of the UK.

I stand to be completely corrected, as I do not profess to be an expert.

Right, but like I said, while highly visible, does tesco's turnover warrant it being a special case here vs something like a large bank?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MEA are to build a new substation on the land rumoured to be for Tesco in the new year. Tesco and the other big names don't give a dam about the small shopkeeper, the same shopkeeper can not buy his goods from his supplier for the same price the likes of Tesco sell for. Once they have forced the small man out lets see what choice we get, lack of fresh goods, most of the veg stuff sold at Tescos is stinking within a few days.

The MEA are to build a new substation on the land rumoured to be for Tesco in the new year. Tesco and the other big names don't give a dam about the small shopkeeper, the same shopkeeper can not buy his goods from his supplier for the same price the likes of Tesco sell for. Once they have forced the small man out lets see what choice we get, lack of fresh goods, most of the veg stuff sold at Tescos is stinking within a few days.

Where is this imaginary small retailer that sells wonderfully fresh fruit and vegetables at all times of the year? He only exists in you head doesn't he?

I imagine you have named him Henry Yessir and he has a door that makes a little ding when it opens, a big old fashioned till and big wooden shelves behind the counter stocked to the brin with boiled sweets, loose leaf tea and cheap cigarettes, all costing 2 and 6.

The small retailer is long gone and he ain't coming back. Get over it

Where'd you buy your veg Lee?

Where is this imaginary small retailer that sells wonderfully fresh fruit and vegetables at all times of the year? He only exists in you head doesn't he?

I imagine you have named him Henry Yessir and he has a door that makes a little ding when it opens, a big old fashioned till and big wooden shelves behind the counter stocked to the brin with boiled sweets, loose leaf tea and cheap cigarettes, all costing 2 and 6.

Sounds like that shop down from Nobles park, Arthurs was it called....

Its been rumoured for a while now that Tesco are to build a new Super Store on the outskirts of Douglas, What will happen to the town centers and the local shops. On the run up the Christmas Tesco have announced today that they are to reduce the cost of toys by 60%, this cant be of much help to the small retailers who depend on the Christmas sales to boost any income.

Great news that. Now I don't have to go into strand street again this year.

nice one!

Then again they do supply the wages for a large amount of people and that does benefit the economy, think i need a coffee and put my brain in gear. Also email Juan W and ask him exactly why it will benefit the economy. :sweat:

good point, have you seen how much manx meat tesco sell - its a lot so we really shouldnt knock them.

I think he just might you know.

I believe that the revised Common Purse agreement involves a connection to the GDP of the Island versus the GDP of the UK. Ergo, the greater the GDP, the greater the proportion of VAT assigned to the Island.

Where does the turnover / profits of a UK based supermarket show up? I am guessing through the UK, therefore, falsely adding to the GDP of the UK.

I stand to be completely corrected, as I do not profess to be an expert.

That is how I understood it as well. JW's point is that as Tesco IOM, presumably, pays VAT under its UK VAT registration, the VAT collected on sales here does not count in the IOM part of the equation (which is something of an arcane science) for our share of the VAT pot. Alternatively, are the sales counted in our GDP or in the UK's? Either way. it is a valid point to be looked into surely? Do F registered companies have to file an IOM tax return?

F Registered Companies have to file an ADF (Annual Declaration Form), similar to an Annual Return on the anniversary of being registered in the IoM.

This does not coincide with the incorporation date of the Company in the 'home' jurisdiction.

The ADF is less comprehensive than an Annual Return with the information disclosed.

I buy vegetables on saturdays from Bryan on the quay in Ramsey. Much better value than the supermarkets - much better shopping experience. If, however, you can't cook and prefer to spend your time wheeling a trolley around and standing in line then I suppose you're better off buying a bit of industrial 'food' and a mountain of packaging at the supermarket. Personally I prefer to buy from people who know a bit about what they are selling and treat their staff and customers as human beings.

I buy vegetables on saturdays from Bryan on the quay in Ramsey. Much better value than the supermarkets - much better shopping experience. If, however, you can't cook and prefer to spend your time wheeling a trolley around and standing in line then I suppose you're better off buying a bit of industrial 'food' and a mountain of packaging at the supermarket. Personally I prefer to buy from people who know a bit about what they are selling and treat their staff and customers as human beings.

You are making it out to be an either or argument. But it is not. We sometimes buy stuff from the quay in Ramsey on a Saturday too and often especially if it is tagged as local.

But we also use the supermarkets - coop, shoprite and tescos. All of which are relatively good for raw ingredients. We can cook and almost always make meals from raw ingredients. Ice cream, bread occasionally, dairy products and various obscure deli products in jars would be more or less the only processed / pre prepared food we buy. Many people who use the supermarkets are not surviving on packaged meals.

I bet you do use the supermarkets really.

I used to work at Tescos, in both the DotCom delivery service and in the instore bakery. I'll tell you why Tescos is taking in so much Manx money. Its because there is always thousands of you wallies in there spending your money. Every day. The IOM store makes more per term than a bigger store across. Now shall I drive from Douglas to Ramsey to buy a bunch of uber fresh carrots or shall I pop down to Tesco. Hmmmm could go on about cost and carbon foot print differences but hey.

At the end of the day the Manx have no-one to blame for the demise of their hallowed "small business" is themselves. No-one is rounding people at gun point and forcing them through the door at Tescos. Its all business at the end of the day. Compete or fail.

By the way not Manx born or breed so preparing for a comment about "a sea going vessel" and "its departure first thing in the day".

Archived