Supermarkets

Lee54

I used to work at Tescos, in both the DotCom delivery service and in the instore bakery. I'll tell you why Tescos is taking in so much Manx money. Its because there is always thousands of you wallies in there spending your money. Every day. The IOM store makes more per term than a bigger store across. Now shall I drive from Douglas to Ramsey to buy a bunch of uber fresh carrots or shall I pop down to Tesco. Hmmmm could go on about cost and carbon foot print differences but hey.

At the end of the day the Manx have no-one to blame for the demise of their hallowed "small business" is themselves. No-one is rounding people at gun point and forcing them through the door at Tescos. Its all business at the end of the day. Compete or fail.

By the way not Manx born or breed so preparing for a comment about "a sea going vessel" and "its departure first thing in the day".

I think you miss the point of the economics, the supermarkets can sell products cheaper than the small corner shops could buy from the wholesalers before adding their markup, so where does the customer go ? - simple answer, where it's cheapest and has space for more lines, even savewell (Derby Square) couldn't compete in the end

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In relation to the Company being Manx Registered, I have had confirmation that it is infact for the VAT reasons mentioned earlier on thread.

Indirect tax revenues from VAT are based on our economic growth, so for every Non Registered IOM Company the effects are reduced

I used to work at Tescos, in both the DotCom delivery service and in the instore bakery. I'll tell you why Tescos is taking in so much Manx money. Its because there is always thousands of you wallies in there spending your money. Every day. The IOM store makes more per term than a bigger store across. Now shall I drive from Douglas to Ramsey to buy a bunch of uber fresh carrots or shall I pop down to Tesco. Hmmmm could go on about cost and carbon foot print differences but hey.

At the end of the day the Manx have no-one to blame for the demise of their hallowed "small business" is themselves. No-one is rounding people at gun point and forcing them through the door at Tescos. Its all business at the end of the day. Compete or fail.

By the way not Manx born or breed so preparing for a comment about "a sea going vessel" and "its departure first thing in the day".

I think you miss the point of the economics, the supermarkets can sell products cheaper than the small corner shops could buy from the wholesalers before adding their markup, so where does the customer go ? - simple answer, where it's cheapest and has space for more lines, even savewell (Derby Square) couldn't compete in the end

And as you say its a matter of economics. If I can get reasonable quality at a reasonable price, why should I not go to Tesco and at the same time have much greater choice and selection. At the end of the day I can get all the products I need under one roof and not have to travel to several locations just so I can keep "Joe" from down the road going out of business. In the beginning Tesco would have been a small store somewhere but the owner(s) had the drive to grow the business. As I said before.....Compete or Die.

Tesco is a big employer on the Island, although I do know for a fact that the night crew that fill the store everynight are for the majority non-Manx. Now is this the evil Tesco's TAKIN AR JARBS!!!!! (attempt at local dialect) or an indication that the Manx worker isnt up to hard graft after normal working hours?

And onto the subject of Shopshite, "Manx to the Max" my arse. Most of it is Waitrose, Iceland or similar large NON MANX brands. If its just a matter of them selling a few Manx products, then cannot Tesco employ the same statement?

Tesco launches massive half price sale

Tesco is launching a half price sale, slashing the prices of around 1,000 products by 50% from tomorrow until Christmas in an effort to tempt shoppers to spend.

The retailer will cut the prices of Christmas food, drinks, toys and gifts by half.

Tesco said the focus of the sale was firmly on gifts and essentials for Christmas.

http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/868760/T...alf-price-sale/

So when all the retailers in Strand street close up for good what will happen to the street, cant see Dandara being interested in a ghost town and the Government have enough white elephants a is.

As for buying my veg, the Market Hall is a good place to shop

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if Strand Street lost its unique shopping experience (that is one full of chavs using prams as battering rams and shitty shops with overpriced stock and surly assistants).

Fuck the shops here - I spend my money at Tesco, M & S, in the UK and online for better value for money, choice and to avoid that shithole called Strand Street.

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if Strand Street lost its unique shopping experience (that is one full of chavs using prams as battering rams and shitty shops with overpriced stock and surly assistants).

Fuck the shops here - I spend my money at Tesco, M & S, in the UK and online for better value for money, choice and to avoid that shithole called Strand Street.

You'd obviously be much happier back wherever it was you came from. Can't think what's keeping you here.

Chavtastic.

High wages, low tax, decent jobs, good friends and an easy life.

Not the climate, parochial locals, shit nightlife, over priced everything and shit shops.

Ah well - can't have it all! I'm not into shopping, and we can't help the climate, but I agree about the nightlife. I'm surprised thought that you only find the locals parochial - with your attitude it's a wonder they're not positively hostile to you.

So when all the retailers in Strand street close up for good what will happen to the street, cant see Dandara being interested in a ghost town and the Government have enough white elephants a is.

As for buying my veg, the Market Hall is a good place to shop

Lets face it Lee54, there aren't many "local" retailers on the high street is there really. The few that there are are either tat peddlers (moochers, baloons to go etc) or TT souvenier shops. A significant number of shops on the high street are big brand shops that you could find in any town across. Why? Because they sell what people want, not statues of cute cats or books about a TT race 30 years ago. Time the IOM realized it is nearly 2009 not 1909.

High wages, low tax, decent jobs, good friends and an easy life.

Not the climate, parochial locals, shit nightlife, over priced everything and shit shops.

Ah well - can't have it all! I'm not into shopping, and we can't help the climate, but I agree about the nightlife. I'm surprised thought that you only find the locals parochial - with your attitude it's a wonder they're not positively hostile to you.

Its usual the locals that come across with the anti-across attitude first. Like I hinted in my first ever posting that I knew the boat goes in the morning, I dont need some slack jaw yokel who's still stuck in the dark ages, and believes that the world ends 3 miles of the Douglas coastline. I'm surprised there isn't a pitch fork and torch gaggel at the ferry terminal, to stop them bloody come-overs before they step ashore.

Archived