Possible New Linkspan

Albert Tatlock

From MR: Minister outlines harbour improvements

I see they are talking about a possible new linkspan, as part of the proposed improvements to Douglas Harbour. On Mandate there was also talk of the possibility of opening up competition with the Steam Packet, as well as using it as a 'bargaining tool'.

just when we've got oodles of millions in the coffers to fritter away on things like that :P

enlarge the harbour ?, they've only just filled in half of it and blocked the inner harbour from being used by commercial traffic ! (filled it with white plastic stuff which never moves)

party and brewery come to mind :)

From MR: Minister outlines harbour improvements

I see they are talking about a possible new linkspan, as part of the proposed improvements to Douglas Harbour. On Mandate there was also talk of the possibility of opening up competition with the Steam Packet, as well as using it as a 'bargaining tool'.

why do they need another linkspan.? they already have 2, so where are they going to put the third one. also why dont they get the one back from birkinhead if they think they need another?

this 'new linkspan' drivel is just a verbal excercise to get the steam racket to unfuck itself and sort out fair pricing. in short, get your act together or we will make your user agreement worthless and really let competition come in. but really it won't happen. like many other businesses, they are the sole provider and competiton wont be allowed to protect jobs. if it was going to be allowed why give them the sole rights to the linkspan in the first place?? perhaps back in the day it was the carrot that kept a service to the island running. just like the airport?? one part of government is dribbling on about free market economy's and competition etc, and in the next breath they are on about protecting local jobs?? you can't have it both ways. to protect the jobs ( the inept management and uneconomical practices ) you have to rip people off to cover what gets pissed away on morons wet dreams. i'm surprised we haven't got our own navy and army and airforce to waste money on along with a space program to explore brown and bells heads, now there is a vacuum!!

If this scheme was thought through we could have a very elegant solution to the problem of profiteering by the SPC

There are enough engineering & fabrication companies on the Island to build a linkspan if it was done in sections and assembled on site. That way the £8mil would remain in the Local economy

Digging out a revetment is no big deal and I believe the plan is to dig out the harbour on the inside of the Fort Anne Jetty to enlarge the marina, so the two jobs could be done with the same plant.

With an independent linkspan in place and chargers for commercial ship charter currently at rock bottom it would make sense for local hauliers & businesses to charter their own ship

I'm sure that if all the interested parties got their heads together we could break the stranglehold of the SPC within 12 to 18 months

What's stopping them ?

Archived