What Should Replace Woolworths

Lonan3

Manxworld TM !

An eclectic mix of traditional IOM entertainment.

Hunt the Wren

Pull the tail off the cat

Put the crab back in the bucket

Bash the comeover

Birch the Homo

Monopoly

That sort of thing !

Whoa there mate - I've got first dibs on Manxland - BACK OFF!!! :zorro:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...st&p=378479

Reminiscent of Lapland New Forest (aka Crapland)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...set/7765080.stm

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A corpy owned indoor market, lots of independently owned stalls with a good variety of stuff for sale, a decent cafe and reasonable rent on the stalls to give the business owners a half decent chance of surviving the first year.

Though a block of badly built, overpriced apartments to be sold to londoners who have never been here is the most likely outcome.

Even though I am still in denial about Woolworths closing, I think it should be an Argos.

Hmmm... It will be sad loosing the Pick n Mix. I always remeber years ago, going to griddles and then to Woolies to get a pick n mix.

Look on the bright side, with the pic n mix gone the pigeons of Douglas have lost one of the main elements of their diet.

Good luck finding anyone who'll pay the astronomical rent on a place that size in that part of Strand Street.. :pinch:

Love the "Swan Vestas" planning application. Sadly, very true. You'd have to suspect that the big Irish vulture will be circling over the dying corpse of Woolies, waiting to build more broom cupboards with brass taps. Hope they'll be better built than the shoddy example I've been left with. One window is now jammed open, another isn't fitted right, the bathroom is already suffering from damp and the woodwork is coming apart and the door frame is knackered. And the place isn't even a year old! Still, it's better than the temporary flat I rented in Tynwald Street :o

Til then, yeah. Potato museum.

I would like to see a decent well stocked delicatessen in part of the building - maybe connected to a place that serves quality coffee in proper cups not those paper abortions and has cappucinos that are not US standard size but Italian standard size so you can taste the coffee.

Saw an interesting 'craft supermarket' in NZ this year which promoted a very wide range of local crafts - something like that could also be good.

Maybe a good furniture store.

A small tax haven in the basement?

Archived