Would The Island Sink Into The Sea If The Tt Stopped?

MilitantDogOwner

Just a hyperthetical.

Say the TT stops now. So no 2009 TT. What so ever. What would be the effects to Island not just from a financial point, but a Tourism and general well being of the IOM.

I know this is a touchy subject, so I dont want this to turn into a witchhunt on from either the pro/anti TT camps. I'm just curious as to whether the Island is so attached to the TT would it function with out it?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But surely there is more to the Island than the TT. What about the other aspects I discussed.

To say that if the TT went the IOM would just be another UK county doesn't say much for the IOM.

I said 'another step towards becoming a county of England'.

Fact is most outsiders know the island because of the TT, and to a lesser degree other motorsport, as well as old fogies remembering the island as a holiday destination of the past. The TT is crucial IMO, and probably brings with it a lot more hidden benefits than the TT itself, e.g. people opening accounts, bringing businesses here, coming to work here etc. etc. and the marketing benefits of a captive audience of 30,000 visitors each year shouldn't be underestimated.

Of course the island has got other things going for it, but fact is they don't bring in the bacon or the amount of visitors we would need. People can go to the Lake District, Blackpool, Southport and abroad etc. at a fraction of the cost for travel/stay here.

People who say otherwise are deluding themselves IMO and living in the past. The island is a nice place to live and bring up kids because it 'feels safe', which isn't actually backed by the statistics when you dig deeper or become aware of the actual extent of some of the problems over here. The entertainment infrastructure is fairly crap, and there is little, bordering on nothing, for kids to do here. So much money has been wasted by the government here over the years on so many stupid projects, with a failure to change the place much for the benefit of residents, let alone visitors, and they have let the major lifeline travel route become an expensive monopoly. They couldn't have buggered things up better if they had tried...and meanwhile while times were good, Joe Public here let them get away with it. Despite the propaganda, IMO we couldn't be more unprepared for a downturn in the finance sector.

Businesses should do what they are best at, and well known for, and IOM PLC should 'stick to the the knitting' and the TT is one of the things we do best. This year with the pound at its lowest for a long time will prove what I'm saying, it hasn't been this cheap for people to get here £ v euro/dollar etc. but I don't think we'll be seeing much of a mad rush to get here somehow - other than for the TT.

So yes, I think the island would sink a lot without the TT. But probably not as much as it is sinking with the calibre of politicians (less one or two exceptions), we have had running the place for the last twenty years.

As i see it there are 3 distinct "types" when the subject of TT comes up

1 The died in the wool fanatic who accepts no other opinion but that the world ends with the TT.

2 The older type of local wallahs who througout most of their lives have been gratful to tourism and the TT in general for a living and hold that affinity even though the earning days are well gone.

3 Newcomer types who owe nothing to the TT and see no good reason to be inconvenienced by the oily smelly types,

Me? in deffo a number 2, i know sod all about TT trivia but i "owe" it a lot.

I know this is a touchy subject, so I dont want this to turn into a witchhunt on from either the pro/anti TT camps. I'm just curious as to whether the Island is so attached to the TT would it function with out it?

I wouldn't miss it as an event, but I wonder the financial effect it'd have on vat receipts which I understand are partially calculated on visitor numbers?

As i see it there are 3 distinct "types" when the subject of TT comes up

1 The died in the wool fanatic who accepts no other opinion but that the world ends with the TT.

2 The older type of local wallahs who througout most of their lives have been gratful to tourism and the TT in general for a living and hold that affinity even though the earning days are well gone.

3 Newcomer types who owe nothing to the TT and see no good reason to be inconvenienced by the oily smelly types,

Can I be a 4) Manx born who's really tired of the inconvenience combined with the poor environmental and safety record?

So would that put you in group 2 or 3 Slim?

As I see there would be more groups:

1. Manx residents who have no connections to the TT and couldnt give a monkeys.

2. Non-Manx born residents who love the TT to the death.

But whether you like the TT is irrelevant to the question.

Is the TT so ingrained into the IOM and its people that if it were to cease to be could the IOM survive and even prosper?

I'm not sure of the numbers and welcome to correction...The IOM's population is around 80k...ish...how many are directly and undirectly employed or make their primary incomes from the TT?

Sorry slime you posted as I was typing my response...

Sorry Sorry meant Slim...to early for me I'm afraid.

Think of what would be lost;

Income to the papers by advertising and government notices, not just TT but road closures for repairs etc.

At least one bank holiday.

A nice smooth circular road on the island.

Subsidised fares on the SPC, they do bump up prices for TT and this will subsidise their profits for the rest of the year.

Loads of jobs in the DoT, people who do nothing else but plan for TT.

Jobs in tourism, both of them.

Chance to earn a few bob by letting out the garden/shed.

Something to talk about when across.

Something to moan when not across.

Keep the TT, the island wouldn't be the same without it.

I doubt its anywhere near the revenue that 80k people generate over the 52 weeks in a year as opposed to the 30k in 2 weeks.

It was estimated at bringing in £8M last time I heard - but as I mentioned earlier I think there are a lot of other not easily quantifiable hidden benefits e.g. I personally know 3 people who have set up businesses here indirectly following initial visits to the TT and falling in love with the place.

I still think we should be giving Bernie Eccleston a ring though...

/open hornets nest

Archived