Would The Island Sink Into The Sea If The Tt Stopped?

MilitantDogOwner

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been all over Europe the States and Canada and when people ask where you're from, and you say the Isle of Man, they always associate the Island with the TT, not a tax haven.

Even most people in the UK associate it with the TT.

I think it would be down to the people you meet. Unless bikes are on their radar, most people probably never heard of the TT - and certainly would not care. At best, if reminded, they would possibly vaguely remember having read something about it somewhere. Perhaps in connection with the deaths. None of us meets a cross section.

I'm not pro or anti. I'm neutral. But for most people (in the world) - it's not something they think about.

Petrol sport is probably dead before 10 years whatever happens. The energy efficient / electric event can still have potential if they act quickly to create some buzz. Unfortunately they seem to have been very slow about that - beyond originally announcing it. Some other new event will quickly establish itself as the key event if they are not quick. There is no reason why it has to be the IOM. It could be anywhere.

I worry that the TT organizers and supporters are too out of touch to understand that the electric / energy efficient event is the only bit which has a future. Petrol sport is over. Give or take a few years.

ETA: but it would be great for the island if the tradition of the TT could be carried over into the world of super fast electric vehicles

It was estimated at bringing in £8M last time I heard

... and probably costs £10m to stage - the DOTs road budget for maintaining the TT Course must run into at least several million a year to start with (probably a lot more actually) plus all the other costs of staging the event so if £8m is all it brings in its rubbish really.

WE have lots of festivals, populist, motor sport, sport, and cultural.

Do most of them turn a profit in terms of cost of putting on against entrance fees etc. NO.

We have them for ourselves and for out tourist trade. We have them because they add to our lives in the broadest sense.

I hate bikes, think they are dangerous, done too many inquests and looked at too many gory photos and a day at the racse would bore me to death

BUT I do like the atmosphere on the prom, looking at the custom biles and the paint jobs, Bushys, the fair the buzz. Just like I enjoy the Museum, House of Mannan, Yn Cruinnnaght, Drama Fstival, the Gaiety, concerts at the Villa . If I were a speorts man I would also enjoy the vast array of amateur sport and the level of involvement and supoprt

Whatever the cost the Island would not sink without them. It would however be a poorer place.

So downsides and all, blocked roads and deaths I wouldn't see TT GP or S100 go. I am however grateful to the organisers and others for their realisation, at last, that safety needs improving and the removal of early morning practices etc. WE can all live with it. Why lose it?

There are few enough things that the IOM is known for. Our tourism efforts are focused primarily on the North of England and the Tourism people are not interested in trying to get tourists from further afield than the UK (based on what they have told me).

Like it or loathe it the TT is one of the few international tourism 'anchors' that the IOM has. Personally I would like to see better promotion and coverage of what is a unique social/sporting festival. Something we could build on rather than something we get rid of without a replacement. If we can create an alternative source of £8-20 million of tourism revenue then we should do them both! Given the economic future tourism is an area that we should try to grow.

With sterling in the doghouse we should be pushing the IOM in Europe and beyond as a place to include in visits to the UK and Ireland. The TT can be part of this. It is interesting that our Tourism website is English language only - a real indicator of our blinkered mentality.

Fact is most outsiders know the island because of the TT, and to a lesser degree other motorsport,

Not in my experience. When I tell people across that I live in the IOM they say, "Gosh, you must be rich." It's the tax haven aspect they have heard about, the TT rings no bells at all with most of them.

Totally disagree with you Sebrof.

I've been all over Europe the States and Canada and when people ask where you're from, and you say the Isle of Man, they always associate the Island with the TT, not a tax haven.

Even most people in the UK associate it with the TT.

I've had the same experience. Mention the IOM and everyone knows the TT, even though they might not actually know where the island is!

Cut to Bray Hill

"Oh, there's a crash helmet rolling down the hill."

"Oh my God, there's a head in it"

"Oh my God, there's no body attached"

"OMFG, £3.50 for a cheeseburger"

What a ridiculous thing to say.

You'll never get a cheeseburger for £3.50 in TT week

Archived